Reign Come From Behind in 4-3 Win
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - The Ontario Reign, proud affiliates of the NHL Los Angeles Kings and the AHL Manchester Monarchs, took the 4-3 win over the Las Vegas Wranglers in a come-from-behind victory, in front of 4,777 fans at Orleans Arena Friday evening. Left wing Ryan MacGregor netted the game-winning goal and goaltender John Murray picked up his sixth straight win, stopping 29 of the 32 shots he faced in the match.
In the fifth match-up between the Reign and the Wranglers this season, Ontario (15-9-1-1) took the early lead in the match, putting one on the board at the 7:50 mark in the first. Right wing Geoff Walker netted the puck past Wranglers goaltender John DeCaro, off an assist from center Tim Kraus, to put the Reign ahead, 1-0. Walker registered his ninth goal of the season on the play with Kraus picking up his eleventh assist of the year. Five minutes later the Wranglers (10-13-0-2) tied the game off a goal from forward Matt Beaudoin, sending the match into the second with a score, 1-1.
Both teams found the net twice in the second period, with Las Vegas coming out first in the period, netting a goal from Mick Lawrence just after one minute into the stanza, putting the Wranglers ahead, 2-1. Ontario's Tim Kraus brought the game back to even at 10:05 in the second, netting his seventh goal of the season off assists from left wing Todd Jackson and center Jon Francisco. Las Vegas pushed ahead, 3-2, in the period with a goal from forward Kelly Czuy at 12:53, but Reign right wing Maxime Boisclair made the score, 3-3, heading into the third period as he scored a power play goal and his fourth goal of the season at 17:44. Center Jon Francisco and defenseman Shawn Germain registered the assists, with Francisco tallying his second assist of the night.
Nearly five minutes into the third period, Reign left wing Ryan MacGregor skated the puck down the middle of the ice off a backhanded pass from Maxime Boisclair, firing the puck past DeCaro, netting the eventual game-winner and his third of the season at 4:41. Las Vegas pulled DeCaro from the net with one-minute remaining in the match giving the Wranglers an extra attacker, but the Reign held of the attack, taking their second win over the Wranglers this week, 4-3.
Notes: - With the win over the Wranglers, the Reign mark their third straight win as they gain two points in the Pacific Division standings, sitting in second place four points behind the Fresno Falcons for first - John Murray extended his win streak to 6-game in the 4-3 win over the Wranglers (6-0-0) (11/26/08-12/19/08) - Geoff Walker extended his point streak to two games with his goal in the match-up (1g, 1a = 2 points) (12/15/08-12/19/08) - Tim Kraus extended his point streak to six games with his goal and assist in the game (3g, 4a = 7 points) (12/3/08-12/19/08)
REIGN DROPS: The Reign are back at Citizens Business Bank Arena on Saturday, December 20, as they take on the Phoenix Roadrunners at 7 p.m. as the Reign present their Holiday Stocking Giveaway to 3,500 fans in attendance.
Bring out a group of 20 or more to a Reign home game and find out how your group can REIGN over the arena for the night! Special pricing and Reign fan experiences are available for all Reign home games during the Reign's inaugural season presented by the Mission Inn. Contact a Reign representative at (909) 941-PUCK (7925) or visit www.ontarioreign.com for more information.
Single game tickets are on sale now and can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com, at all TicketMaster locations, or by calling (213) 480-3232.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 20, 2008
- Grizzlies Fall 3-2 In Overtime; Unbeaten Streak Now At Five - Utah Grizzlies
- Aces Swept by Victoria - Alaska Aces
- Salmon Kings sweep Aces - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Reign Rally Past RoadRunners 4-3 In A SO - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Thunder drops final head-to-head matchup at Selland Arena - Stockton Thunder
- Dayton Downs Cincinnati 5-4 in Shootout - Dayton Bombers
- Five different goal scorers contribute to victory over Condors - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads take series finale from Condors, 5-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Chiefs dropped by Wheeling - Johnstown Chiefs
- Royals Earn a Point in SOL in Trenton, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Devils Use Shootout to Defeat Royals, 5-4 - Trenton Devils
- Dayton Takes 5-4 Shootout Win From Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Morrison Scores Game-Winner With 1:46 Left For 5-4 Win at Johnstown - Wheeling Nailers
- Blades run streak to four at 5-2 win over Mississippi - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays downed by Jackals, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cruthers scores 18th goal of season but Everblades win 5-2 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Game Preview: Ontario Reign Vs Phoenix Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Fresno Falcons - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Rays Host Elmira Tonight at 7:05 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Goepfert Returns to Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Team record fifth shutout of the season propels Victoria to a 4-0 win - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Reign Come From Behind in 4-3 Win - Ontario Reign
- Ontario Edges Las Vegas 4-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Thunder Snag Second Straight Win Over Fresno on Rohlfs' Shootout Winner - Stockton Thunder
- Falcons fall in shoot-out - Fresno Falcons
- Salmon Kings, Ford Stifle Aces - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.