Stingers Fall to Mankato in Game Two of Doubleheader
(Willmar, M.N.)- All good things typically come to an end and the same is true for the Willmar Stingers win streak Sunday night.
With the Willmar win streak at ten, the Stingers came into game two of the doubleheader with the Mankato MoonDogs on a proficient tear. However, Mankato's bats spoiled the Stinger streak.
Mankato bested Willmar 10-5, tallying 14 hits, including a home run to mark their fifth long ball of the day.
Dylan Phillips hit a deep three-run home run in the win for Mankato, as the MoonDogs combined for 23 runs in the games against the Stingers Sunday.
Noah Cameron, the Willmar starter, only went two innings, allowing four runs on six hits. The only Stinger reliever of the four pitchers that hit the field to have a scoreless outing was Wyatt Thompson who pitched the final two innings of the game.
The loss did have a few bright spots for the Stingers as Chase Stanke and Griffin Cheney each crushed their first home runs of the season. Additionally, Ryan Johnson picked up another two hits, bringing his two-game day total to five.
Wilmar still sits in first place in the Minnesota/Iowa Pod with a record of 12-3. Mankato improves to 4-12 overall.
The two teams meet again tomorrow in Mankato with first pitch slated for 6:35 pm.
The 2020 Stingers season is presented by J.D. Kreps Financial Group. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
MinnWest Technology Campus Player of the Game
The MinnWest Technology Campus is a business community located in the heart of Minnesota lakes country. We are currently home to 31 companies who create a rich network of talent and expertise in the areas of agribusiness, bioscience and technology. Among them are national and global leaders in their industries.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 19, 2020
- MacDaddies Late Rallies Secure Game One Win, Game Two Draw with Growlers - Kalamazoo Growlers
- MoonDogs Split Sunday Doubleheader with Stingers - Mankato MoonDogs
- Stingers Fall to Mankato in Game Two of Doubleheader - Willmar Stingers
- Ryan Walstad Slams Rafters to 8-3 Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Loggers Drop Final Game of Homestand, Lose to Rafters 8-3 - La Crosse Loggers
- Offense Powers Rox to Win over Rochester on Sunday - St. Cloud Rox
- Kindreich's Strong Start Not Enough in Loss - Rochester Honkers
- Pitching Propels Pit Spitters Victory - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Green Bay Picks up First Shutout of Season - Green Bay Booyah
- Chucks Win 4-3 in Game Two of Doubleheader, Split Twin Bill against FDL - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Stingers Win Wild One over Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Flickertails End Larks Winning Streak at Eight - Bismarck Larks
- Bobbers Take Kenosha Series Lead on 7-1 Win - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters Travel to La Crosse for Sunday Baseball Versus the Loggers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rivets Pound Booyah 13-4 to Extend Winning Streak to 3 - Rockford Rivets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.