Pitching Propels Pit Spitters Victory
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - Dominant pitching was the story of the night as six Pit Spitter arms combined for 16 strikeouts while only allowing one hit in a 6-0 shutout of the Great Lakes Resorters in front of a sold-out crowd Sunday evening at Turtle Creek Stadium.
The Great Lakes Resorters - who feature a brand-new roster coming off the brief hiatus due to COVID-19 - were held hitless through the first six innings before DH Chris Faust lined a single to deliver the Resorters their lone hit on the night.
Traverse City got off to a quick start, plating a pair of runs in the top of the first featuring a Mario Camilletti RBI-double to take the early 2-0 advantage. Pit Spitter starter and MLB prospect, Andrew Hoffman, did his part to keep the Resorters at bay, striking out six through three innings pitched before University of Michigan commit, Antonio Flores, drove home two runs on an inside-the-park home run to extend Traverse City's advantage to 4-0 going into the fifth. Great lakes would manage only one base hit the remainder of the contest as the Pit Spitters tallied two more runs in the seventh - putting the finishing touches on a 6-0 shutout win.
Pit Spitters relief arm, Cade Heil (1-0), tossed two innings allowing only one walk while striking out a pair in his first win on the season. Resorter starter, Trenton Wood (0-1), threw three innings allowing a pair of runs - none earned - in his first loss on the campaign. The Pit Spitters improve to 3-1, with all three wins coming against Great Lakes. The Great Lakes Resorters fall to 1-3 on the year.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 19, 2020
- MacDaddies Late Rallies Secure Game One Win, Game Two Draw with Growlers - Kalamazoo Growlers
- MoonDogs Split Sunday Doubleheader with Stingers - Mankato MoonDogs
- Stingers Fall to Mankato in Game Two of Doubleheader - Willmar Stingers
- Ryan Walstad Slams Rafters to 8-3 Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Loggers Drop Final Game of Homestand, Lose to Rafters 8-3 - La Crosse Loggers
- Offense Powers Rox to Win over Rochester on Sunday - St. Cloud Rox
- Kindreich's Strong Start Not Enough in Loss - Rochester Honkers
- Pitching Propels Pit Spitters Victory - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Green Bay Picks up First Shutout of Season - Green Bay Booyah
- Chucks Win 4-3 in Game Two of Doubleheader, Split Twin Bill against FDL - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Stingers Win Wild One over Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Flickertails End Larks Winning Streak at Eight - Bismarck Larks
- Bobbers Take Kenosha Series Lead on 7-1 Win - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters Travel to La Crosse for Sunday Baseball Versus the Loggers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rivets Pound Booyah 13-4 to Extend Winning Streak to 3 - Rockford Rivets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Traverse City Pit Spitters Stories
- Turtle Creek Stadium Hosts Inaugural Concert
- Joltin' Joe Horoszko Sends Pit Spitters Back to Championship Game
- Pit Spitters Win Back-And-Forth Thriller to Advance
- Pit Spitters Loss Sets up Winner-Take-All Game Three
- Pit Spitters Open Postseason with Big Win at Home