Chucks Win 4-3 in Game Two of Doubleheader, Split Twin Bill against FDL
WAUSAU WI - The Woodchucks split a doubleheader against the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders on Sunday afternoon, winning the second game of the twin bill. The final score in the first game was 13-7, with the Dock Spiders winning. The Chucks responded with a win in the second game, 4-3.
The first game of the doubleheader was picked up from July 2nd, when rain suspended the Woodchucks' home opener. When the game was suspended, the Dock Spiders were leading 6-3 in the fourth inning. The remainder of the nine inning game was played in full. Raul Ortega, Brandon Seltzer, Leighton Banjoff and Nick Romano collected an RBI after the game was picked up. Kyle Hess also reached base five times dating back to July 2nd, but the Chucks still fell 13-7. Matt Taylor was the losing pitcher for Wisconsin.
Game two of the twin bill was scheduled to last seven innings. In the second game, Kyle Hess started the scoring with a solo homer in the first inning. Caleb Denny collected an RBI double in the third, scoring Hess. Brandon Seltzer scored on a wild pitch in the fifth inning, and Leighton Banjoff came home on a passed ball in the sixth.
Brett Wicklund was excellent for the Woodchucks in game two. He collected his first win of the season, lasting 5.2 innings and surrendering only two runs. He struck out six. Michael Smith got the save for Wisconsin, with 1.1 innings of one-run relief. Game two was won 4-3.
Kyle Hess got on base six times during the two games. Hess had a double in the first game, and hit a solo homer in the second contest.
Brett Wicklund was the winning pitcher in game two, tossing 5.2 innings of two-run ball. He struck out six.
The Woodchucks are back on the road tomorrow. They'll face Fond du Lac at 6:35 from Herr-Baker Field. The next Woodchucks home game is on Wednesday night against Wisconsin Rapids. First pitch in that one is also scheduled for 6:35. For tickets, call us at 715.845.5055, stop by our front office, or visit woodchucks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 19, 2020
- MacDaddies Late Rallies Secure Game One Win, Game Two Draw with Growlers - Kalamazoo Growlers
- MoonDogs Split Sunday Doubleheader with Stingers - Mankato MoonDogs
- Stingers Fall to Mankato in Game Two of Doubleheader - Willmar Stingers
- Ryan Walstad Slams Rafters to 8-3 Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Loggers Drop Final Game of Homestand, Lose to Rafters 8-3 - La Crosse Loggers
- Offense Powers Rox to Win over Rochester on Sunday - St. Cloud Rox
- Kindreich's Strong Start Not Enough in Loss - Rochester Honkers
- Pitching Propels Pit Spitters Victory - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Green Bay Picks up First Shutout of Season - Green Bay Booyah
- Chucks Win 4-3 in Game Two of Doubleheader, Split Twin Bill against FDL - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Stingers Win Wild One over Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Flickertails End Larks Winning Streak at Eight - Bismarck Larks
- Bobbers Take Kenosha Series Lead on 7-1 Win - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters Travel to La Crosse for Sunday Baseball Versus the Loggers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rivets Pound Booyah 13-4 to Extend Winning Streak to 3 - Rockford Rivets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.