Steelheads Beat Utah in Shootout, 4-3
BOISE, ID- The Idaho Steelheads (11-7-2) came back from a 3-1 deficit to defeat the Utah Grizzlies (7-9-2) 4-3 in a shootout in the first game of a series of four consecutive meetings between the two clubs; 3,056 fans witnessed the event at Qwest Arena.
After a scoreless first period, Craig Cescon opened the scoring for Idaho with his first of the season at 3:22 of the second period, with assists going to Steve Gainey and Matt McKnight. Just under 10 minutes later, Tim Verbeek tied the game for Utah with his seventh of the season, assisted by James Sixsmith and Vladimir Nikoforov.
The two teams were tied at one entering the third, and the game remained tied until Evan Stoflet put Utah ahead by a goal, 2-1, with his first of the season at 8:16; assists were given to Kotsopoulos and Tom May. Just under a minute-and-a-half later, Verbeek extended the Utah lead to 3-1 with his second of the game and eighth of the season, assisted by Kotsopoulos and Tom May.
But the back half of the third period was all Steelheads, as Ben Nelson scored his tenth of the season on the power play to pull the Steelheads to within a goal. Mark Bomersback kept his point streak going with an assist on the goal, and Gainey added his second assist of the evening. As the final minutes were winding down in the third, Bomersback deflected a Darrell Hay point shot past Utah goalie Michael Mole to tie the game. Gainey also picked up an assist on the goal; his third.
The sudden-death overtime period was not enough to finish the contest, but in the shootout the Steelheads were a perfect four-for-four. Nelson, Bomersback, Marty Flichel, and Bryan McGregor all scored to seal the victory for Idaho.
Matt Climie picked up his third win in as many starts to improve to 6-4 on the season; he stopped 29 shots. Mole fell to 5-9-2 with the loss, and stopped 40 shots.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 3, 2008
- Salmon Kings Fall to Reign - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Steelheads Beat Utah in Shootout, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Settle For Point In Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Fall In Tight Battle With Johnstown, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- RoadRunners Skate Past Wranglers 6-3 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Outlast Wranglers 6-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Bombers Fall 3-1 To Cincinnati On The Road - Dayton Bombers
- Chiefs Power Past Royals - Johnstown Chiefs
- Second Period Stuns Jackals - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Win 3-1 to Extend Winning Streak to 5 Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Blades Quiet Jackals 7-2 - Florida Everblades
- Micflikier named ECHL Player of the Week - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Warm Up For Thunder Hockey With Cold Crawl - Stockton Thunder
- Hamilton Loaned to Houston - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Reign vs. Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- Patrick Wellar Returned To Reading - Reading Royals
- Condors acquire Pilkington and Pernula - Bakersfield Condors
- Florida's Micflikier Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- McArdle, Smolenak Increase ECHL Players In NHL To 374 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Former Blade McArdle makes NHL debut - Florida Everblades
- Abbott and Zucker to Participate in Principal for a Day Program - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bombers Weekend Double Header Starts Friday - Dayton Bombers
- Checkers Announce Schedule Change - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers Edged By Falcons - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Falcons Shutout Wranglers, 1-0 - Fresno Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Season Ends in Game 6, Falling 3-1 to Oilers
- Steelheads Game 6 & 7 Watch Party this Sunday & Monday
- Steelheads Surge Late to Force Game 6 with 3-1 Win over Oilers
- Steelheads Game 5 Tickets for Friday on Sale Now
- Steelheads Extend Postseason, Force Game 5 with 4-2 Win over Oilers