Cyclones Win 3-1 to Extend Winning Streak to 5 Games
CINCINNATI, Ohio - The Cincinnati Cyclones got a shorthanded goal from Kyle Rank 11:46 into the third period, to break a 1-1 tie and let the club head to a 3-1 win over Dayton on Wednesday night. The win was the Cyclones fifth consecutive triumph.
There was no scoring in the first period, but Dayton had the best chance of the frame-ringing a shot off the goalpost midway through. Cincinnati outshot the Bombers in the opening 20 minutes, 10-4.
Cincinnati opened the scoring when Barret Ehgoetz collected his sixth goal of the season, re-directing Olivier Latendresse's backhanded shot from the slot. T.J. McElroy tallied the other assist on the goal.
In the third period, Dayton scored a power play goal just 1:03 into the frame from Joe Van Culin-his third of the season. Cincinnati got the game winning goal from Kyle Rank, on a shorthanded breakaway-his fourth of the season. Olivier Latendresse closed out the scoring, grabbing a rebound at the right goalpost on a rebound and stuffing home his 15th goal of the campaign.
Martin Houle picked up his sixth win of the season, stopping 22 shots. Tyler Plante took the loss, turning away 26 shots.
The Cyclones are 9-7-3 on the season, while Dayton is 12-5-3. The Cyclones play three straight at U.S. Bank Arena against Johnstown on Friday (December 5), Saturday (December 6) and next Monday (December 8). Faceoff for all of those games is at 7:30pm.
NOTE: Tonight's game was the tenth anniversary of the IHL Cyclones trade of Don Biggs. Biggs was dealt to the Utah Grizzlies in exchange for Fred Knipscheer.
The five game winning streak is the longest by the Cyclones since establishing an ECHL record 17 game stretch from Jan. 16 through Feb. 29 of last year.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 3, 2008
- Salmon Kings Fall to Reign - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Steelheads Beat Utah in Shootout, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Settle For Point In Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Fall In Tight Battle With Johnstown, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- RoadRunners Skate Past Wranglers 6-3 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Outlast Wranglers 6-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Bombers Fall 3-1 To Cincinnati On The Road - Dayton Bombers
- Chiefs Power Past Royals - Johnstown Chiefs
- Second Period Stuns Jackals - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Win 3-1 to Extend Winning Streak to 5 Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Blades Quiet Jackals 7-2 - Florida Everblades
- Micflikier named ECHL Player of the Week - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Warm Up For Thunder Hockey With Cold Crawl - Stockton Thunder
- Hamilton Loaned to Houston - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Reign vs. Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- Patrick Wellar Returned To Reading - Reading Royals
- Condors acquire Pilkington and Pernula - Bakersfield Condors
- Florida's Micflikier Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- McArdle, Smolenak Increase ECHL Players In NHL To 374 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Former Blade McArdle makes NHL debut - Florida Everblades
- Abbott and Zucker to Participate in Principal for a Day Program - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bombers Weekend Double Header Starts Friday - Dayton Bombers
- Checkers Announce Schedule Change - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers Edged By Falcons - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Falcons Shutout Wranglers, 1-0 - Fresno Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.