Second Period Stuns Jackals
Elmira, NY- The number one team in the ECHL came into First Arena and proved that numbers don't lie. With the highest winning percentage in the ECHL and most goals scored per game, the Everblades exploded for five second period tallies en route to a 7-2 win over the Jackals.
The Jackals got on the board first at the 3:16 mark of the first period on a short handed goal from Chris Korchinski. At the 4:30 mark Yannick Tifu evened the score at 1-1 on the power play. Deadlocked at 1-1 after the first 20 minutes the Jackals were in good shape out shooting Florida five to three.
The second period was an entirely different story. The Everblades lit the fuse and out shot the Jackals 12-6. They also outscored Elmira 5-1 in the second. The first goal came at the 3:20 mark when Michael Genzy lit the lamp. At the 8:35 mark Florida struck again with a goal from Jacob Micflikier. The Everblades didn't stop there as they added goals from Baker, Micflikier and Bouchard to take the 6-1 lead. The Jackals would then get a boost of life when Brad Zannon fought Travis Gawryletz. Gawryletz would hands down win his first pro toss. The Jackals would then add their second tally of the evening with a goal from Josh Aspenlind. Pierre-Luc Faubert and Craig Switzer would get the assist on the power play goal.
Anticipating a rowdy third period, things were kept pretty quiet. The Everblades would extend their lead to 7-2 on a goal from Brad Herauf at the 9:12 mark. Josh Aspenlind would toss the mitts with Brad Zannon at the 15:22 mark and bring First Arena back to life but the score would remain 7-2 to the finish.
With the loss the Jackals fall to 9-7-0-2 while the Everblades take control of first place in the ECHL with a 14-3-1-0 record.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 3, 2008
- Salmon Kings Fall to Reign - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Steelheads Beat Utah in Shootout, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Settle For Point In Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Fall In Tight Battle With Johnstown, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- RoadRunners Skate Past Wranglers 6-3 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Outlast Wranglers 6-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Bombers Fall 3-1 To Cincinnati On The Road - Dayton Bombers
- Chiefs Power Past Royals - Johnstown Chiefs
- Second Period Stuns Jackals - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Win 3-1 to Extend Winning Streak to 5 Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Blades Quiet Jackals 7-2 - Florida Everblades
- Micflikier named ECHL Player of the Week - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Warm Up For Thunder Hockey With Cold Crawl - Stockton Thunder
- Hamilton Loaned to Houston - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Reign vs. Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- Patrick Wellar Returned To Reading - Reading Royals
- Condors acquire Pilkington and Pernula - Bakersfield Condors
- Florida's Micflikier Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- McArdle, Smolenak Increase ECHL Players In NHL To 374 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Former Blade McArdle makes NHL debut - Florida Everblades
- Abbott and Zucker to Participate in Principal for a Day Program - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bombers Weekend Double Header Starts Friday - Dayton Bombers
- Checkers Announce Schedule Change - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers Edged By Falcons - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Falcons Shutout Wranglers, 1-0 - Fresno Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.