Chiefs Power Past Royals
READING, Pa. - The Johnstown Chiefs started the month of December on the right foot by picking up their ninth consecutive win over the Reading Royals by a score of 2-1.
The first period didn't go quite the way the Chiefs had hoped as Reading took a 1-0 lead on a power play goal by Mac Faulkner at 15:09. Johnstown had two power play chances of its own in the first, but wasn't able to convert. With penalties to Mike Bartlett and Ryan Del Monte 18 seconds apart, the Royals used the 5-on-3 advantage to beat Ian Keserich with a rebound goal.
The Chiefs found their offense during the first intermission, and put it to good use in the second period. With Brock Hooton in the box for hooking, Randy Rowe blasted a slap shot by Danny Taylor 3:36 into the period. It was Rowe's team-leading fifth power play goal, eighth overall, with assists from Ryan Del Monte and Trevor Hendrikx. Mike Knight was next to get in on the scoring as he also put a power play slap shot behind Taylor for his first goal of the season. Andy Contois and Petr Pohl assisted on Knight's goal, extending their point streaks to three and four games respectively.
Neither team could find the back of the net in the final frame, and the Chiefs came away with a big road win.
Ian Keserich picked up the victory in his first start since November 8 by turning in a 34-save effort. The Chiefs power play provided all the offense he would need by going 2-for-5.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 3, 2008
- Salmon Kings Fall to Reign - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Steelheads Beat Utah in Shootout, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Settle For Point In Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Fall In Tight Battle With Johnstown, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- RoadRunners Skate Past Wranglers 6-3 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Outlast Wranglers 6-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Bombers Fall 3-1 To Cincinnati On The Road - Dayton Bombers
- Chiefs Power Past Royals - Johnstown Chiefs
- Second Period Stuns Jackals - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Win 3-1 to Extend Winning Streak to 5 Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Blades Quiet Jackals 7-2 - Florida Everblades
- Micflikier named ECHL Player of the Week - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Warm Up For Thunder Hockey With Cold Crawl - Stockton Thunder
- Hamilton Loaned to Houston - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Reign vs. Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- Patrick Wellar Returned To Reading - Reading Royals
- Condors acquire Pilkington and Pernula - Bakersfield Condors
- Florida's Micflikier Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- McArdle, Smolenak Increase ECHL Players In NHL To 374 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Former Blade McArdle makes NHL debut - Florida Everblades
- Abbott and Zucker to Participate in Principal for a Day Program - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bombers Weekend Double Header Starts Friday - Dayton Bombers
- Checkers Announce Schedule Change - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers Edged By Falcons - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Falcons Shutout Wranglers, 1-0 - Fresno Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.