Blades Quiet Jackals 7-2
ELMIRA, NY - The Florida Everblades (14-3-1) improved their record to 6-1-0 on their current nine-game road trip thanks to a five-goal second period outburst to collect a 7-2 thumping over the Elmira Jackals (9-7-2) in front of a crowd of 3,169at First Arena.
Goaltender Anton Khudobin chipped in with his ninth straight win and recently named Player of the Week Jacob Micfliker registered four more points and the Everblades bounced back from allowing the first goal of the game.
Special teams were the story of the first period as both teams tallied a goal in the first five minutes while on the special teams. Elmira opened the scoring with a short-handed goal at 3:16 after the Everblades failed to keep the puck in the zone at the right point. Chris Korchinski raced onto the puck in the neutral zone and let a slap shot go from the top of the left circle that beat Khudobin between the pads for a 1-0 lead.
On the same power play, the Everblades tied the contest at 4:30. Micflikier carried the puck into the offensive zone from his own end before feeding a pass from the bottom of the right circle to Yannick Tifu in the left circle. Tifu snapped off a quick one-time shot that snuck under the pad of Jackals net-minder Mitch O'Keefe. The goal was Tifu's fourth of the year.
In the second period the Everblades took control of the game scoring five times to carry a 6-2 lead into the second intermission. The scoring barrage began with Michael Grenzy tallying his third goal of the year at 3:20. Brad Herauf began the play carrying the puck into the zone where he dropped it off the Luke Beaverson who fired a shot on net that O'Keefe saved. The Jackals net-minder however couldn't control the rebound allowing Grenzy to pounce on the puck at the right side of the crease.
The Everblades increased their lead to 3-1 on Micflikier's eighth goal of the year at 8:35 of the frame on a nice play that began with Tifu carrying the puck into the zone 1-on-3 before feeding a pass from the left circle to the slot where Micflikier was trolling uncovered. Doug O'Brien recorded the second helper on the goal.
With a 3-1 advantage, the Everblades exploded for three goals in a span of 1:35 midway through the period. The outburst started with Kevin Baker's team-leading 14th goal of the year at 13:27. After Herauf dumped the puck down the left boards, Baker out-hustled the Jackals defenseman before cutting to the front of the net and lifting a shot over O'Keefe.
The second goal came with the Everblades on the power play as Micflikier tallied his second goal of the night by banking a shot from behind the goal line on the right side off the pads of O'Keefe and into the net at 14:10. Tifu and Peter Metcalf collected the assists on the second power play goal of the net for the Everblades.
The trio of quick goals finished with a nice deflection by Danick Bouchard off a shot from Beaverson at the left point. As Bouchard cut across the front of the goal mouth, he put his stick on a good hard low shot by Beaverson that deflected up under the crossbar at 15:02. Micflikier notched his fouth point of the night with the second assist on the goal.
The Jackals did manage a late power play goal at the end of the second period to cut the lead to 6-2 when Josh Aspenlind took a pass in the left circle from Pierre-Luc Faubert before one-timing a shot past Khudobin with 25 seconds left in the second period.
Florida closed out the scoring midway through the third period with their third power play goal of the night on Herauf's first goal of the year. After a nice play at the blue line by Metcalf, Herauf took a pass from the Everblades veteran defenseman at the bottom of the right circle where he turned and snapped home a shot short side at 9:12.
Khudobin (9-1-0) finished the night with 16 saves while O'Keefe dropped to 7-4-1 after allowing the seven goals on 22 shots.
On the power play, the Everblades finished out the night 3-of-7 while Elmira closed out the game 1-of-7.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 3, 2008
- Salmon Kings Fall to Reign - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Steelheads Beat Utah in Shootout, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Settle For Point In Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Fall In Tight Battle With Johnstown, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- RoadRunners Skate Past Wranglers 6-3 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Outlast Wranglers 6-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Bombers Fall 3-1 To Cincinnati On The Road - Dayton Bombers
- Chiefs Power Past Royals - Johnstown Chiefs
- Second Period Stuns Jackals - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Win 3-1 to Extend Winning Streak to 5 Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Blades Quiet Jackals 7-2 - Florida Everblades
- Micflikier named ECHL Player of the Week - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Warm Up For Thunder Hockey With Cold Crawl - Stockton Thunder
- Hamilton Loaned to Houston - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Reign vs. Victoria Salmon Kings - Ontario Reign
- Patrick Wellar Returned To Reading - Reading Royals
- Condors acquire Pilkington and Pernula - Bakersfield Condors
- Florida's Micflikier Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- McArdle, Smolenak Increase ECHL Players In NHL To 374 - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Former Blade McArdle makes NHL debut - Florida Everblades
- Abbott and Zucker to Participate in Principal for a Day Program - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bombers Weekend Double Header Starts Friday - Dayton Bombers
- Checkers Announce Schedule Change - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers Edged By Falcons - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Falcons Shutout Wranglers, 1-0 - Fresno Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.