Steelheads acquire two in trade
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads announced today they have acquired forward Paul Caponigri [cap-on-EE-gree] and defenseman Tyler Kindle [kin-dul] from the Johnstown Chiefs in exchange for forward Brad Thompson and defenseman Jim Hakewill.
Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations for the Idaho Steelheads said, "We look forward to adding these two players to our lineup Friday night. Caponigri is an offensive, gritty left winger who will provide more scoring opportunities up front, and Kindle is a smooth skating offensive defenseman who will fill a vacant spot left by Zion."
Caponigri is a 26-year-old from Oak Park, Illinois. In 30 games with the Chiefs this season, he has tallied 17 points (7g, 10a). After graduating from Ohio State and four seasons of NCAA hockey, he joined the San Diego Gulls of the ECHL for three games to end the 2003-04 season. The 5-foot-10, 190-pound Caponigri played his first full year of professional hockey with the ECHL's Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies in 2004-05 where he scored 43 points (15g, 28a) in 70 games.
Kindle comes to Idaho in his third professional ECHL season, having played previously with Pensacola, Trenton and Cincinnati in 2003-04, and Pee Dee in 2004-05. After 32 games with Johnstown this season, the 6-foot, 190-pound blueliner has tallied 12 points (2g, 10a). Kindle, a 27-year-old graduate of Wayne State University, hails from Portage, Michigan.
Captain D'Arcy McConvey will also be wearing a Steelheads sweater Friday night for the first time since December 27th when he was recalled by the team's AHL affiliate Iowa Stars. The 24-year-old is third in scoring on the Steelheads with 36 points (16g, 20a) in 23 games, and is tied for the ECHL league-lead in game winning goals with 5. McConvey was reassigned to Idaho by the Stars on January 15th.
The Steelheads look to snap a four-game home losing streak when they take on the Fresno Falcons at Qwest Arena for a three-game series, Friday 7:10 pm, Saturday, 7:10 pm and Sunday 4:10 pm.
Tickets for Steelheads home games are available at the Qwest Arena Box Office, by visiting any Select-A-Seat outlet, by calling 331-TIXS (8497), or through the Steelheads website by logging on to www.idahosteelheads.com. Season tickets, Flex-Plans and Mini-Plans are also available by calling (208) 383-0080.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2006
- Ice Pilots Lose 5-3 at Charlotte - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Ford Named Reebok/ECHL Goalie of the Week - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Jamieson turns in hat trick as Checkers down Pensacola, 5-3 - Charlotte Checkers
- Car Magnet and Cap Giveaways This Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Lingren gets his "C" legs - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Steelheads acquire two in trade - Idaho Steelheads
- Skate with the Falcons Tomorrow Night at Granite Park - Fresno Falcons
- Curtin Named National Conference Alternate Captain - Fresno Falcons
- Utah Grizzlies Announce Roster Changes - Utah Grizzlies
- Dunham recalled to NHL Atlanta; Tarkki Reassigned from AHL Chicago - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Gajic Named Player of the Week - Atlanta Gladiators
- Franck, Mosienko Added To American Conference Roster - ECHL
- Mosienko selected to ECHL All-Star Game - Greenville Grrrowl
- Ice Pilots' Ford Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender Of The Week - ECHL
- Chiefs Acquire Size and Grit - Johnstown Chiefs
- Gladiators' Gajic Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Dany Roussin Selected As Runner-Up ECHL Player of Week - Reading Royals
- Rays Sign Andersson, Engelland Reassigned - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bertoli named captain of American Conference All-Star Team - Trenton Devils
- Titans' Bertoli, Victoria's Lingren Named All-Star Captains - ECHL
- Hartlieb named alternate captain of All-Star team - Florida Everblades
- Chris Barr Loaned To Manchester - Reading Royals
- Ice Dogs Weekly - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Grizzlies Visit Shriners Hosptial - Utah Grizzlies
- RoadRunners To Visit Phoenix Children's Hospital Today - Phoenix RoadRunners
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Slip in Return Home, 4-1, to Oilers
- Steelheads Sign Goaltender Arthur Brey Ahead of Tonight's Game
- Goaltender Tomas Sholl Earns First AHL Recall to Texas Stars
- Steelheads Announce Multiple Transactions with Trade, Assignment & Signing
- Spider-Man Slings in for Steelheads Marvel Super Hero Night Saturday