Curtin Named National Conference Alternate Captain
FRESNO, Calif. - The ECHL announced today that Fresno Falcons leading scorer and alternate captain Luke Curtin, who has already been named a starter for the National Conference at next week's 2006 Bud Light ECHL All-Star Game and Skills Competition, has been selected as an alternate captain for the National Conference.
Curtin, who is one of three Falcons All-Stars this season along with goaltender Brett Jaeger and defenseman Dustin VanBallegooie, leads Fresno with 43 points (14g-29a), placing him sixth in the ECHL scoring race. Last season, the now four-time All-Star wore the "C" as captain for the National Conference while playing for the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies.
The ECHL also announced that Victoria Salmon Kings defenseman Steve Lingren will captain the National Conference side and that right wing Garett Bembridge will be the other alternate. The American Conference All-Stars will be captained by Trenton Titans left wing Scott Bertoli with Charlotte Checkers defenseman Rory Rawlyk and Florida Everblades forward Ernie Hartlieb having been named alternates.
All-Star alternate captains Curtin and Hartlieb will square-off tonight as the Falcons host a re-match with the Everblades following Fresno's 4-1 victory on Jan. 10 during the teams' first-ever meeting. The game is a Carl's Jr. Two-for-Tuesday, with two-for-one coupons available at participating Carl's Jr. restaurants.
Individual tickets are on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets and Save Mart Center's box office with prices ranging from $8 - $22. For complete ticket information and an arena map of Save Mart Center, visit www.fresnofalcons.com/singletickets.html, or contact the Falcons front office directly at (559) 485-PUCK (7825).
Fresno made several roster moves in advance of tonight's game. Jamie Holden was recalled to the American Hockey League's Cleveland Barons yesterday. The rookie goaltender made a team season-high 40 saves on Saturday during Fresno's 2-1 shootout defeat of the Bakersfield Condors and departs with a record of 5-1-1, a 3.01 goals against average, and a .900 save percentage. Backing up All-Star goaltender Brett Jaeger tonight as an emergency goaltender is Fresno State Hockey's Rodrigo Morales.
The club released forward Trent Walford today and instead signed another forward, Alex Motley, who played with the Falcons during training camp.
Finally, Rob McFeeters was activated from seven-day injured reserve.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2006
- Ice Pilots Lose 5-3 at Charlotte - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Ford Named Reebok/ECHL Goalie of the Week - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Jamieson turns in hat trick as Checkers down Pensacola, 5-3 - Charlotte Checkers
- Car Magnet and Cap Giveaways This Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Lingren gets his "C" legs - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Steelheads acquire two in trade - Idaho Steelheads
- Skate with the Falcons Tomorrow Night at Granite Park - Fresno Falcons
- Curtin Named National Conference Alternate Captain - Fresno Falcons
- Utah Grizzlies Announce Roster Changes - Utah Grizzlies
- Dunham recalled to NHL Atlanta; Tarkki Reassigned from AHL Chicago - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Gajic Named Player of the Week - Atlanta Gladiators
- Franck, Mosienko Added To American Conference Roster - ECHL
- Mosienko selected to ECHL All-Star Game - Greenville Grrrowl
- Ice Pilots' Ford Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender Of The Week - ECHL
- Chiefs Acquire Size and Grit - Johnstown Chiefs
- Gladiators' Gajic Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Dany Roussin Selected As Runner-Up ECHL Player of Week - Reading Royals
- Rays Sign Andersson, Engelland Reassigned - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bertoli named captain of American Conference All-Star Team - Trenton Devils
- Titans' Bertoli, Victoria's Lingren Named All-Star Captains - ECHL
- Hartlieb named alternate captain of All-Star team - Florida Everblades
- Chris Barr Loaned To Manchester - Reading Royals
- Ice Dogs Weekly - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Grizzlies Visit Shriners Hosptial - Utah Grizzlies
- RoadRunners To Visit Phoenix Children's Hospital Today - Phoenix RoadRunners
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.