Sporting KC's John Pulskamp Joins U.S. National Team
Sporting Kansas City goalkeeper John Pulskamp has been selected to the United States Men's National Team for a two-week training camp in Carson, California, highlighted by an international friendly against Bosnia and Herzegovina on Dec. 18 at Dignity Health Sports Park.
Pulskamp, 20, will join the U.S. MNT for the first time after representing his country at the U-18 and U-20 youth international levels. He is part of a 26-player squad assembled by U.S. head coach Gregg Berhalter, who will prepare his team for its final match of 2021 in a 7:15 p.m. CT kickoff on FS1, UniMas and TUDN.
With the continuation of FIFA World Cup Qualifying next month and MLS-based players now in the offseason, Pulskamp is on a domestic-based squad comprised of core national team players and younger talents who have earned opportunities on the heels of strong 2021 campaigns.
Pulskamp is one of seven players who will take part in their first camp as a rostered U.S. MNT member alongside Taylor Booth, Caden Clark, Jonathan Gomez, Kobi Henry, Kevin Paredes and Gabriel Slonina. He is one of 12 who will have a shot at earning his first senior cap.
U.S. MNT ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):
GOALKEEPERS (3): John Pulskamp (Sporting Kansas City; 0/0), Gabriel Slonina (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 12/0)
DEFENDERS (11): George Bello (Atlanta United; 5/0), Justin Che (FC Dallas; 0/0), Jonathan Gomez (Louisville City; 0/0), Kobi Henry (Orange County SC; 0/ 0), Henry Kessler (New England Revolution; 1/0), Brooks Lennon (Atlanta United; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 21/3), Kevin Paredes (D.C. United; 0/0), Bryan Reynolds (Roma/ITA; 1/0), Auston Trusty (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 22/2)
MIDFIELDERS (5): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 44/2), Cole Bassett (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Johnny Cardoso (Internacional/BRA; 2/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 29/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 15/0)
FORWARDS (7): Taylor Booth (Bayern Munich II/GER; 0/0), Caden Clark (New York Red Bulls; 0/0), Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 4/2), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 39/10), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; 6/3), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew; 65/14)
Pulskamp recently concluded a breakthrough year at Sporting, earning his MLS debut in a season-opening 2-1 victory over the New York Red Bulls on April 17. The win came two days before his 20th birthday as he became the third-youngest keeper in league history to win a regular season match and the youngest to win a regular season road game. He ended the year with a 3-2-1 record in six MLS starts, securing his first clean sheet in a 2-0 triumph over the LA Galaxy on Oct. 27 at Children's Mercy Park.
A native of Bakersfield, California, Pulskamp began his professional career by signing for Sporting KC II in 2019. He has made 28 appearances over the last three USL Championship seasons, racking up 96 saves as one of the best young goalkeepers in American soccer.
As a youth international, Pulskamp debuted for the U.S. U-20 MNT in a friendly against regional rivals Mexico on Jan. 18, 2020. He also competed at a U.S. U-18 training camp in June 2018 at Compass Minerals National Performance Center, Sporting's world-class training home in Kansas City, Kansas. That same year, he went on trial with English Premier League outfit AFC Bournemouth.
Pulskamp arrived in Kansas City in April 2019 after a two-year stint in the LA Galaxy Academy, where he competed at the U-17 and U-19 levels in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy. Prior to joining the Galaxy, he represented youth sides Real So Cal and Central California Aztecs.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2021
- LAFC Season of Giving Continues with Blood Drive & Community Events on Dec 6 & 7 - Los Angeles FC
- New England Revolution Announce Year-End Roster Decisions - New England Revolution
- Parity Rules - MLS Leads in Championship Participants: MLS News & Notes - Conference Finals - MLS
- The 12 Biggest Storylines from the Rapids 2021 Season - Colorado Rapids
- Lassi Lappalainen Signs with CF Montréal - Club de Foot Montreal
- Columbus Crew Re-Signs Goalkeeper Eloy Room - Columbus Crew SC
- Mark-Anthony Kaye up for Canada Soccer Player of the Year - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Re-Signs Defender Wyatt Omsberg - Chicago Fire FC
- Sounders FC Announces 2021 Team Awards - Seattle Sounders FC
- Three Rapids Players Receive Call up Ahead of USMNT Match with Bosnia and Herzegovina - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC's John Pulskamp Joins U.S. National Team - Sporting Kansas City
- Colorado Rapids Announce Year-End Roster Updates - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Homegrown Kevin Paredes Selected for Upcoming U.S. Men's National Team Camp and Friendly - D.C. United
- Academy Update: 2021 Generation Adidas Cup Winter Event - Inter Miami CF
- Morris and Roldan Called into U.S. Men's National Team - Seattle Sounders FC
- Back-To-Back MLS Defender of the Year and 2021 MLS Best XI Selection Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Friendly - Nashville SC
- Keys to the Match: Embrace the Moment - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew Forward Gyasi Zardes to Join United States Men's National Team for International Friendly - Columbus Crew SC
- Cowell, Yueill Called to U.S. Men's National Team December Camp - San Jose Earthquakes
- Homegrown Goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina Earns First U.S. Men's National Team Call-Up - Chicago Fire FC
- Matt Turner & Henry Kessler Named to United States Men's National Team Roster for December Camp - New England Revolution
- New York Red Bulls Caden Clark and Aaron Long Called into U.S. Men's National Team Camp - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Homegrowns Justin Che, Jesús Ferreira and Ricardo Pepi Called into National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- George Bello and Brooks Lennon Called up to United States Men's National Team for December Friendly - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Travels to Portland Saturday, Facing Timbers in Western Conference Final - Real Salt Lake
- FC Cincinnati Academy Roundup: October 17 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Academy to Compete at MLS NEXT Fest in California - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Academy Roundup: October 9-10 - FC Cincinnati
- 2021 adidas MLS College Showcase to Feature Top College Prospects - MLS
- Kit, Drafts & Schedules: Key Dates to Preseason - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.