Sounders FC to Open 2020 Season at Home March 1 vs. Chicago
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC is set to open the 2020 MLS regular season at home on Sunday, March 1 at 12:00 p.m. PT against Eastern Conference side Chicago Fire FC at CenturyLink Field, Major League Soccer announced today. The complete regular season schedule, along with the national television schedules for the United States and Canada, is being announced in the coming weeks.
Major League Soccer today announced dates for all 26 of the club home openers for the 2020 season - Major League Soccer's 25th Season Celebration. All 26 clubs will begin play on opening weekend, including the highly-anticipated debuts of the league's two new expansion clubs, Nashville SC (vs. Atlanta on February 29) and Inter Miami CF (at LAFC on March 1). Other highlights of the opening four weekends include Miami hosting David Beckham's former team, the LA Galaxy, at Inter Miami CF Stadium in Fort Lauderdale on March 14 and Fire FC's return to Soldier Field in downtown Chicago, hosting Atlanta United on March 21.
This marks the first time that Sounders FC has opened its regular season against Chicago. The Rave Green are 6-5-0 all-time in MLS regular-season openers, including a 4-1 win over FC Cincinnati in 2019. This also marks the 11th time in 12 seasons that Seattle has hosted its season opener. Seattle is 8-2-4 all-time against Fire FC in MLS regular season play, including a 4-2 win most recently on March 16, 2019 in Chicago.
During the 2020 MLS regular season, each club will play 34 games (17 home and 17 away). Teams will face each of their conference opponents twice during the season (home and away), for a total of 24 matches. The additional 10 regular season matches will be played against opponents from the other conference. Those inter-conference opponents will be revealed with the full 2020 schedule in the coming weeks.
New in 2020, Sounders FC is providing a limited-time offer for a Championship Celebration Four-Match Pack, which includes tickets to four of team's most anticipated matches of the upcoming season: The home opener vs. Fire FC, the season-closing Fan Appreciation Match, and home matches against LAFC and the Portland Timbers. The Championship Celebration Pack goes on sale for the general public and Season Members is on sale now and is available for purchase through January 3, providing a convenient way for fans to join the team at big games in 2020 or for Season Members to purchase additional seats for these games.
Championship Celebration Pack tickets are not eligible for resale and seating will be assigned digitally in mid-February, but ticket locations may be selected in either the lower bowl ($200 package price) or upper bowl ($120 package price). Fans are limited to purchasing four lower bowl tickets and eight upper bowl tickets.
Complete ticketing information and 2020 Sounders FC Season Memberships can be found via SoundersFC.com/Tickets.
2020 MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER REGULAR SEASON HOME OPENERS
All times are PT. Schedule is subject to change.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 29
10:00 a.m. - D.C. United vs. Colorado Rapids (Audi Field)
12:00 p.m. - Montreal Impact vs. New England Revolution (Stade Saputo)
12:30 p.m. - Houston Dynamo vs. LA Galaxy (BBVA Stadium)
2:30 p.m. - San Jose Earthquakes vs. Toronto FC (Avaya Stadium)
3:00 p.m. - FC Dallas vs. Philadelphia Union (Toyota Stadium)
3:00 p.m. - Orlando City SC vs. Real Salt Lake (Exploria Stadium)
5:00 p.m. - Nashville SC vs. Atlanta United (Nissan Stadium)
7:30 p.m. - Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Sporting Kansas City (BC Place)
SUNDAY, MARCH 1
9:30 a.m. - Columbus Crew SC vs. New York City Football Club (MAPFRE Stadium)
10:00 a.m. - New York Red Bulls vs. FC Cincinnati (Red Bull Arena)
12:00 p.m. - Seattle Sounders FC vs. Chicago Fire FC (CenturyLink Field)
2:30 p.m. - Los Angeles Football Club vs. Inter Miami CF (Banc of California Stadium)
4:30 p.m. - Portland Timbers vs. Minnesota United
SUNDAY, MARCH 7
10:30 a.m. - New England Revolution vs. Chicago Fire FC (Gillete Stadium)
11:00 a.m. - Real Salt Lake vs. New York Red Bulls (Rio Tinto Stadium)
2:00 p.m. - Toronto FC vs. New York City Football Club (BMO Field)
4:00 p.m. - Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati (Mercedes Benz Stadium)
5:30 p.m. - Sporting Kansas City vs. Houston Dynamo (Children's Mercy Park)
6:00 p.m. - Colorado Rapids vs. Orlando City SC (Dick's Sporting Goods Park)
7:00 p.m. - LA Galaxy vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC (Dignity Health Sports Park)
SATURDAY, MARCH 14
9:30 a.m. - New York City Football Club vs. FC Dallas (Yankee Stadium)
11:30 a.m. - Inter Miami CF vs. LA Galaxy (Fort Lauderdale Stadium)
2:30 p.m. - FC Cincinnati vs. D.C. United (Nippert Stadium)
4:30 p.m. - Philadelphia Union vs. San Jose Earthquakes (Talen Energy Stadium)
SUNDAY, MARCH 15
4:00 p.m. - Minnesota United vs. New York Red Bulls (Allianz Field)
SUNDAY, MARCH 21
3:00 p.m. - Chicago Fire FC vs. Atlanta United (Soldier Field)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 5, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Sign Midfielder Haris Medunjanin - FC Cincinnati
- The FC Cincinnati Foundation Generates $1 Million Impact in First Year - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC to Host Invitational College Combine this Saturday - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Jeff Larentowicz - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Acquires Thiago Santos from Palmeiras - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes 2020 Home Opener Set for February 29 vs. Toronto FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC to Open 2020 Season at Home March 1 vs. Chicago - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy 2020 MLS Home Opener Set for Saturday, March 7 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake to Face New York Red Bulls in 2020 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire FC to Kick off 2020 MLS Season on March 1 against Reigning MLS Cup Champions Seattle Sounders FC - Chicago Fire
- Home Openers Announced for 25th Season of Major League Soccer - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF to Make Worldwide Debut at LAFC - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Home Opener Set for Saturday, March 7 against FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Host Expansion Side Inter Miami Cf in 2020 MLS Regular Season Home Opener - Los Angeles FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2020 Home Opener - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City to Host Real Salt Lake in 2020 MLS Season Opener on February 29 - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Open MLS Season at Home on March 1 - New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Kick off MLS Regular Season on February 29 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Toronto FC Home Opener Set for March 7 - Toronto FC
- New England Revolution Announce 2020 Opening Matches - New England Revolution
- Timbers Kick off 10th MLS Season against Minnesota United FC at Providence Park on March 1 - Portland Timbers
- Home Openers Announced for 25th Season of Major League Soccer - MLS
- Impact to Play Home Opener on February 29 at the Olympic Stadium - Montreal Impact
- New York City FC Announces First Three 2020 MLS Matches Including Home Opener against FC Dallas on Saturday, March 14 - New York City FC
- Dynamo Face LA Galaxy for Opening Day Pres. by BBVA on February 29 - Houston Dynamo
- Columbus Crew SC to Host New York City FC for 2020 MLS Opening Match on March 1 - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Opens 2020 Season against the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, February 29 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United Announces 2020 Home Opener for 25th Season of MLS - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United to Play the Colorado Rapids on February 29 in 2020 MLS Home Opener at Audi Field - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LAFC - November 28, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Seattle Sounders FC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case
- Seattle Supports Sounders FC Ahead of Opening Round Playoff Battle against LAFC
- Three Sounders FC Players Named to 2020 MLS Best XI
- Baseball Hall of Famer and Seattle Icon Ken Griffey Jr. and Family Join Sounders FC Ownership Group