Minnesota United Announces 2020 Home Opener for 25th Season of MLS
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- The second season in Allianz Field will start on Sunday, March 15 as Minnesota United hosts the New York Red Bulls at 6:00 p.m., the club announced today.
The last time the Loons met RBNY was on the road on April 6, 2019 as part of Minnesota United's five-game road trip to start the 2019 season. Minnesota United came away with a confident 2-1 win over the Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena. MNUFC is 1-2 all-time against RBNY, with losses coming in 2017 and 2018.
MNUFC will open the 2020 season on the West Coast, facing the Portland Timbers on Sunday, March 1 at 6:30 p.m., in the final game of the opening weekend. The Loons are 3-2-1 all-time against the Timbers, beginning in 2017 with Minnesota's inaugural MLS game at Providence Park. In 2019, The Loons went 1-0-1 against Portland, taking their first point at Providence Park in the September 22 contest.
In addition to opening weekend, the first four weekends of MLS action will be filled with landmark moments. On Saturday, March 14, Inter Miami CF will make their home debut, hosting David Beckham's former team, the LA Galaxy, at the club's newly transformed Fort Lauderdale Stadium. Just one week later, on Saturday, March 21, Chicago Fire will make a historic return to Soldier Field in downtown Chicago, hosting Atlanta United.
During the 2020 MLS regular season, each club will play 34 games, including 17 home games and 17 away games. Teams will face each of their conference opponents twice during the season - one game at home and one game away - for a total of 24 matches. The additional 10 regular season games will be played against opponents from the other conference. Those inter-conference opponents will be revealed with the full 2020 schedule in the coming weeks.
Tickets for the 2020 season at Allianz Field will go on-sale in early 2020, with special presales for season ticket members, members of The Preserve and subscribers to the MNUFC newsletter before the general public. Visit mnufc.com/preserve for more info on The Preserve and mnufc.com/newsletter for more info on subscribing to the newsletter.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 5, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Sign Midfielder Haris Medunjanin - FC Cincinnati
- The FC Cincinnati Foundation Generates $1 Million Impact in First Year - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC to Host Invitational College Combine this Saturday - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Jeff Larentowicz - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Acquires Thiago Santos from Palmeiras - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes 2020 Home Opener Set for February 29 vs. Toronto FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC to Open 2020 Season at Home March 1 vs. Chicago - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy 2020 MLS Home Opener Set for Saturday, March 7 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake to Face New York Red Bulls in 2020 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire FC to Kick off 2020 MLS Season on March 1 against Reigning MLS Cup Champions Seattle Sounders FC - Chicago Fire
- Home Openers Announced for 25th Season of Major League Soccer - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF to Make Worldwide Debut at LAFC - Inter Miami
- Atlanta United Home Opener Set for Saturday, March 7 against FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Host Expansion Side Inter Miami Cf in 2020 MLS Regular Season Home Opener - Los Angeles FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2020 Home Opener - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City to Host Real Salt Lake in 2020 MLS Season Opener on February 29 - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Open MLS Season at Home on March 1 - New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Kick off MLS Regular Season on February 29 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Toronto FC Home Opener Set for March 7 - Toronto FC
- New England Revolution Announce 2020 Opening Matches - New England Revolution
- Timbers Kick off 10th MLS Season against Minnesota United FC at Providence Park on March 1 - Portland Timbers
- Home Openers Announced for 25th Season of Major League Soccer - MLS
- Impact to Play Home Opener on February 29 at the Olympic Stadium - Montreal Impact
- New York City FC Announces First Three 2020 MLS Matches Including Home Opener against FC Dallas on Saturday, March 14 - New York City FC
- Dynamo Face LA Galaxy for Opening Day Pres. by BBVA on February 29 - Houston Dynamo
- Columbus Crew SC to Host New York City FC for 2020 MLS Opening Match on March 1 - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Opens 2020 Season against the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, February 29 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United Announces 2020 Home Opener for 25th Season of MLS - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United to Play the Colorado Rapids on February 29 in 2020 MLS Home Opener at Audi Field - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.