FC Cincinnati Sign Midfielder Haris Medunjanin
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati have signed midfielder Haris Medunjanin (pronounced Harris meh-DOON-yuh-nihn). The midfielder was chosen with the first selection of the 2019 End-of-Year Waivers Draft on Monday, Nov. 25.
Since coming to MLS in 2017 with the Philadelphia Union, Medunjanin has made 98 appearances, including 97 starts, while scoring five goals and adding 29 assists. The former Bosnia and Herzegovina international has recorded the seventh-most assists among all MLS players dating back to the 2017 season.
"We are pleased to add an experienced midfielder in Haris to our roster," FC Cincinnati General Manager Gerard Nijkamp said. "We believe his strengths on the pitch will be a good fit for our style of play. We look forward to integrating Haris within our squad as we look to the 2020 MLS season."
A focal point of the Union midfield when in possession, Medunjanin led all MLS players in 2019 in total passes (2,571), total completed passes (2,182), passes in the opponent's half (1521) and completed passes in the opponent's half (1,217) according to Opta. The midfielder was the lone outfield player in MLS to play every minute of every regular-season match in 2019 and has made at least 30 appearances in all three of his MLS campaigns.
In his professional career, Medunjanin has made more than 400 combined career appearances in the top divisions of the United States, the Netherlands, Spain, Turkey and Israel, while scoring more than 50 goals and adding more than 50 assists dating back to 2005. Prior to arriving in Philadelphia, the midfielder played for AZ Alkmaar (2004-06, 2007-08), Sparta Rotterdam (2006-07), Real Valladolid (2008-10), Maccabi Tel Aviv (2010-12, 2015-17), Gaziantepspor (2012-14) and Deportivo de La Coruña (2014-15).
Internationally, Medunjanin represented Bosnia and Herzegovina from 2009 through 2018. The midfielder earned 60 caps, while scoring nine goals and adding two assists across all competitions. Medunjanin was chosen to be on Bosnia and Herzegovina's roster for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, where he made two appearances in group stage matches against Argentina and Nigeria.
FC Cincinnati will return to the field in early 2020 for their second MLS season. Season Ticket Memberships for the 2020 season are now on sale to the general public at fccincinnati.com/tickets or by calling 513-977-5425 (KICK). A 2020 Season Ticket Membership also secures fans' place on the club's priority list, which will be utilized when sales begin in the new West End Stadium for the 2021 season.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati.
Transaction: FC Cincinnati sign midfielder Haris Medunjanin on Dec. 5, 2019.
#5 HARIS MEDUNJANIN
Pronunciation: Harris meh-DOON-yuh-nihn
Birthdate: March 8, 1985
Birthplace: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hometown: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Last Club: Philadelphia Union (MLS)
Nationality: Bosnia and Herzegovina
MLS Roster Status: International
How Acquired: Signed on Dec. 5, 2019 after being selected in the 2019 End-of-Year Waivers Draft
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 5, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Sign Midfielder Haris Medunjanin - FC Cincinnati
- The FC Cincinnati Foundation Generates $1 Million Impact in First Year - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC to Host Invitational College Combine this Saturday - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Jeff Larentowicz - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Acquires Thiago Santos from Palmeiras - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes 2020 Home Opener Set for February 29 vs. Toronto FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC to Open 2020 Season at Home March 1 vs. Chicago - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy 2020 MLS Home Opener Set for Saturday, March 7 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake to Face New York Red Bulls in 2020 Home Opener - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire FC to Kick off 2020 MLS Season on March 1 against Reigning MLS Cup Champions Seattle Sounders FC - Chicago Fire
- Home Openers Announced for 25th Season of Major League Soccer - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF to Make Worldwide Debut at LAFC - Inter Miami
- Atlanta United Home Opener Set for Saturday, March 7 against FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Host Expansion Side Inter Miami Cf in 2020 MLS Regular Season Home Opener - Los Angeles FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2020 Home Opener - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City to Host Real Salt Lake in 2020 MLS Season Opener on February 29 - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Open MLS Season at Home on March 1 - New York Red Bulls
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Kick off MLS Regular Season on February 29 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Toronto FC Home Opener Set for March 7 - Toronto FC
- New England Revolution Announce 2020 Opening Matches - New England Revolution
- Timbers Kick off 10th MLS Season against Minnesota United FC at Providence Park on March 1 - Portland Timbers
- Home Openers Announced for 25th Season of Major League Soccer - MLS
- Impact to Play Home Opener on February 29 at the Olympic Stadium - Montreal Impact
- New York City FC Announces First Three 2020 MLS Matches Including Home Opener against FC Dallas on Saturday, March 14 - New York City FC
- Dynamo Face LA Galaxy for Opening Day Pres. by BBVA on February 29 - Houston Dynamo
- Columbus Crew SC to Host New York City FC for 2020 MLS Opening Match on March 1 - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Dallas Opens 2020 Season against the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, February 29 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United Announces 2020 Home Opener for 25th Season of MLS - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United to Play the Colorado Rapids on February 29 in 2020 MLS Home Opener at Audi Field - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Goalkeeper Bobby Edwards
- FC Cincinnati Place Fanendo Adi, Jimmy Hague on Waivers
- Midfielder Allan Cruz, Defender Mathieu Deplagne Become U.S. Permanent Residents
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of FC Cincinnati
- 2020 FC Cincinnati Match Tickets Now Available to the Public