Soriano Shines in LumberKings Series Winner
MIDLAND, MI - George Soriano was a force on the mound for the Clinton LumberKings in a 3-2 win over the Great Lakes Loons at Dow Diamond. Evan Edwards slugged his third home run of the season for Clinton (19-8, 52-44) as they took the series from the Loons (14-13, 57-37) two games to one.
Great Lakes was the first to strike breaking a scoreless tie in the bottom of the third inning with a two-run rally. LumberKings starting pitcher Soriano allowed the rally to develop with two out in the inning for his only blemish of the night. Jacob Amaya doubled to start the offense and then scored on a Luke Heyer RBI triple. A Soriano (3-6) wild pitch brought home Heyer and put the Loons in front 2-0.
Clinton then answered in the top of the fourth inning against Great Lakes reliever Zach Willeman. Conner Scott doubled to lead off and moved to third on a Peyton Burdick single and scored on a Will Banfield double play ball.
In the top of the fifth, Clinton took the lead for good. Evan Edwards opened the inning with a nine pitch at-bat that ended with a home run to right center field- tying the score at two. The LumberKings add another run in the inning when they loaded the bases and plated Marcos Rivera on a wild pitch.
The offense was enough to hang Willeman (1-3) with the loss. He worked four innings, allowing three runs on seven hits while walking two and striking out one.
The runs would hold up for Clinton as Soriano earned his third win of the year for a 7.2 inning performance. He allowed two runs on six hits while walking three and striking out six.
Nathan Alexander carried the lead the rest of the way to earn his first save of the year. He worked 1.1 innings allowing one hit while walking one and striking out one.
The LumberKings will now travel south to meet the Lansing Lugnuts for the first game of a three-game series starting on Friday night. Clinton will throw righty Josh Robinson (1-0, 1.26) while Lansing will tap right Eric Pardinho (0-1, 1.93). First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. (SDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 5:50 p.m. with the pregame show online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Walk this Way: Six-Run Eighth Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Ruin Christmas in July In Fort Wayne - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Walk Past Kernels to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Atomic Pork Chops Drop Close Call - Kane County Cougars
- Vance's Walk-Off Propels Snappers to 3-2 Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Seize Rubber Match, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Takes Series over Bandits with 7-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Find a Lump of Coal in Their Stocking on Christmas in July Night - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Soriano Shines in LumberKings Series Winner - Clinton LumberKings
- Hernandez Homers, Warren Shines in Dragons 7-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Pepiot, Ochsenbein Shine in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Kirwer Rejoins Lugnuts, Pruitt to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kody Funderburk activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Peoria (Game 95) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Jimmy Nelson Scheduled for Rehabilitation Assignment with the Timber Rattlers on Sunday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Power Course to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne Gets the Show, and the Greatest Comeback in TinCaps History - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.