Chiefs Ruin Christmas in July In Fort Wayne
Fort Wayne, IN - The Peoria Chiefs played the role of the Grinch Friday night, ruining the Fort Wayne TinCaps Christmas in July promotion with a 6-4 series-ending win. Edwin Figuera had three hits, including two doubles and he drove in three as the Pekin Insurance Beyond the Expected Player of the Game.
For the fourth straight game the Chiefs scored first, this time against lefty Omar Cruz in the second inning. Leandro Cedeno doubled off the base of the left-field wall with one out and scored on a single to left by Figuera.
The Chiefs knocked Cruz from the game as they batted around in the fifth inning. Brendan Donovan led off with a single and Brady Whalen singled with one out to put runners on the corners. A sacrifice fly from Ivan Herrera cut the Fort Wayne lead to 3-2 and Jonatan Machado tied the game with a double to center. Cody Tyler took over on the mound for Cruz and Cedeno greeted him with a RBI single to center for a 4-3 Chiefs lead. Brandon Benson reached on an error by Ethan Skender and both runners scored when Figuera knocked his second double of the game off the left-field wall.
With a 6-3 Chiefs lead, the bullpen allowed just one unearned run over the final three innings. Fort Wayne put the tying run on base in the eighth and had the tying run at the plate when the game ended but the Chiefs relievers shut them down both times.
Michael Brettell (3-6) earned the win as he allowed just two earned runs on five hits over six innings for his third quality start. The right-hander walked two and struck out four in his ninth outing of at least five innings this season. Evan Sisk allowed one unearned run on one hit and one walk while striking out two in one inning of work. Tony Locey racked up three more strikeouts in 1 2/3 shutout and hitless innings. Sebastian Tabata nailed down his fourth save by retiring the only batter he faced.
The Chiefs travel to Eastlake, OH for a three-game series with the Lake County Captains. Saturday's game starts at 6:00 Central time and the broadcast, begins with the Pre-Game Show at 5:45 p.m. (CT) on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game is also available on MiLB.tv to subscribers.
The Chiefs return home on Saturday, July 27 to start a seven-game homestand. Individual game tickets, group tickets and season ticket packages, including full-season, a 35-game ticket package, an 18-game ticket package or a Flex Plan are currently on sale by calling 309-680-4000. Individual game tickets are also on sale with the Dozer Park Box Office open Monday - Friday from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm and online at www.peoriachiefs.com which also lists all of the season's promotions. Game times and promotions are subject to change.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Walk this Way: Six-Run Eighth Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Ruin Christmas in July In Fort Wayne - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Walk Past Kernels to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Atomic Pork Chops Drop Close Call - Kane County Cougars
- Vance's Walk-Off Propels Snappers to 3-2 Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Seize Rubber Match, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Takes Series over Bandits with 7-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Find a Lump of Coal in Their Stocking on Christmas in July Night - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Soriano Shines in LumberKings Series Winner - Clinton LumberKings
- Hernandez Homers, Warren Shines in Dragons 7-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Pepiot, Ochsenbein Shine in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Kirwer Rejoins Lugnuts, Pruitt to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kody Funderburk activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Peoria (Game 95) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Jimmy Nelson Scheduled for Rehabilitation Assignment with the Timber Rattlers on Sunday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Power Course to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne Gets the Show, and the Greatest Comeback in TinCaps History - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff