'Caps Power Course to Victory
BELOIT, WI -The West Michigan Whitecaps used a season-high four home runs - two by infielder Jack Kenley - as part of a 13-7 victory over the Beloit Snappers Thursday night at Pohlman Field.
Kenley, the Detroit Tigers eighth-round pick in the 2019 MLB Draft, enjoyed a tremendous performance, going 3-for-5 with a double and the two home runs. The victory gives West Michigan back-to-back road wins for the first time since April 22-23 at Great Lakes.
LISTEN: All Four Whitecaps Homers in 13-7 Victory
Bryant Packard punctuated the Whitecaps opening the scoring for the second straight night, delivering a three-run homer in the third. The 21-year-old who collected his first 'Caps homer on Wednesday, launched a 437-foot shot to right-center field in giving West Michigan a 3-0 lead. Ulrich Bojarski's sacrifice fly tacked on a run in the fourth, setting the table for West Michigan scoring single tallies in four-straight frames. An RBI-double by Dayton Dugas accompanied solo homers from Jack Kenley and Rey Rivera. In the sixth, the Snappers lived up to their name by scoring five times highlighted by a three-run home run by Logan Farrar to turn a commanding 'Caps lead into a one-run ballgame at 6-5. Rivera's homer extended the lead to 7-5 after seven innings. In the ninth, West Michigan blew the game wide open by scoring six more times, featuring Kenley's second home run of the contest to take control of the contest.
Robbie Welhaf (3-4) lasted 5.1 innings and allowed four runs but picked up his first win since his first game as a starting pitcher on May 29 and his third of the year. Reid Birlingmair (2-6) gave up six runs in 5.1 innings in suffering his sixth loss of the season. The 'Caps improve to 32-63 and 11-15 in the second half standings while Beloit falls to 34-60 and 7-18 in the back half of 2019. Kenley led the Whitecaps at the plate, with ten total bases including the two homers. Each Whitecaps player registered at least one hit in the victory. Packard left the game in the fourth inning with an undisclosed injury.
The Whitecaps conclude this three-game series against the Beloit Snappers Friday night from Pohlman Field at 7:30 pm. Righty Chance Kirby starts for West Michigan against the Snappers Chase Cohen. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty begins on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 7:20 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2019 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Walk this Way: Six-Run Eighth Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Ruin Christmas in July In Fort Wayne - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Walk Past Kernels to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Atomic Pork Chops Drop Close Call - Kane County Cougars
- Vance's Walk-Off Propels Snappers to 3-2 Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Seize Rubber Match, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Takes Series over Bandits with 7-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Find a Lump of Coal in Their Stocking on Christmas in July Night - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Soriano Shines in LumberKings Series Winner - Clinton LumberKings
- Hernandez Homers, Warren Shines in Dragons 7-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Pepiot, Ochsenbein Shine in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Kirwer Rejoins Lugnuts, Pruitt to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kody Funderburk activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Peoria (Game 95) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Jimmy Nelson Scheduled for Rehabilitation Assignment with the Timber Rattlers on Sunday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Power Course to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne Gets the Show, and the Greatest Comeback in TinCaps History - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.