Pepiot, Ochsenbein Shine in Loss
MIDLAND, Mich. - It's safe to say the Great Lakes Loons ran into a buzzsaw that was the Clinton LumberKings this week. It was the only time these two teams will meet this season and Clinton put on an offensive clinic over the three-game set as they scored 25 runs on 36 hits, including Friday night as the took down the Loons 3-2 at Dow Diamond.
While three runs on 10 hits might not seem like a lot, it was enough for LumberKings starter George Soriano (W, 3-6) who was excellent in his quality start allowing just two runs on six hits over 7.2 IP. The 20-year-old righty from the Dominican Republic is accustom to going deep into games, lasting at least six innings in his last seven starts, one of which was a complete game shutout against Beloit on July 2.
As for the Loons (57-37), outfielder Chris Roller may very well find himself on the local news and even ESPN's "SportsCenter" with a pair of highlight reel catches in center field. He did, however, go 0-for-5 at the plate to snap his 14-game hitting streak and 29-game on-base streak.
Two fresh faces on the roster made their debuts as 2019 Los Angeles Dodgers draft picks Ryan Pepiot (3rd round) and Aaron Ochsenbein (6th round) each tossed two scoreless frames. Pepiot is out of Butler and Ochsenbein played four years at Eastern Kentucky.
Sat: 9 Innings of Winning w/ Zooperstars! and FIREWORKS
Sun: Inclusion Day
Mon: Skip Work Day
July 30: Bark in the Park
July 31: Loons BINGO Night
Aug 1: House Divided Night
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Walk this Way: Six-Run Eighth Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Ruin Christmas in July In Fort Wayne - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Walk Past Kernels to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Atomic Pork Chops Drop Close Call - Kane County Cougars
- Vance's Walk-Off Propels Snappers to 3-2 Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Seize Rubber Match, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Takes Series over Bandits with 7-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Find a Lump of Coal in Their Stocking on Christmas in July Night - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Soriano Shines in LumberKings Series Winner - Clinton LumberKings
- Hernandez Homers, Warren Shines in Dragons 7-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Pepiot, Ochsenbein Shine in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Kirwer Rejoins Lugnuts, Pruitt to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kody Funderburk activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Peoria (Game 95) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Jimmy Nelson Scheduled for Rehabilitation Assignment with the Timber Rattlers on Sunday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Power Course to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne Gets the Show, and the Greatest Comeback in TinCaps History - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.