Atomic Pork Chops Drop Close Call
Geneva, Illinois - Playing under the moniker of "The Atomic Pork Chops," the Kane County Cougars (53-43, 18-9) lost a one-run decision, 4-3, to the Bowling Green Hot Rods (57-40, 18-9) on Friday night at Northwestern Medicine Field. The loss snapped Kane County's four-game winning streak.
In the second inning, Dominic Fletcher doubled for the Pork Chops. He later scored on Tim Susnara's sacrifice fly to make it 1-0. Bowling Green tied the game on Jonathan Aranda's RBI single in the third.
In the fifth, Pork Chops starter Adrian Del Moral allowed a one-out walk and a single. Del Moral was replaced in favor of Ryan Miller. Miller served up a go-ahead three-run homer to Seaver Whalen. The Pork Chops retaliated in the bottom of the fifth. Hot Rods starter Shane Baz, who struck out six straight batters at one point, walked in two runs, bringing the Pork Chops within a run.
The Bowling Green bullpen hunkered down to toss 4.1 innings of shutout ball. Nick Padilla (6-2) threw 2.1 of those innings. He earned the win. Michael Costanzo (1) stranded two base runners in the eighth and pitched a perfect ninth to earn the save.
Adrian Del Moral (1-2) suffered the loss. He allowed three runs on six hits over 4.1 innings.
The Cougars open a three-game series with the Dayton Dragons on Saturday night, beginning at 6:30. For tickets, call 630-282-8811 or online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Walk this Way: Six-Run Eighth Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Ruin Christmas in July In Fort Wayne - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Walk Past Kernels to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Atomic Pork Chops Drop Close Call - Kane County Cougars
- Vance's Walk-Off Propels Snappers to 3-2 Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Seize Rubber Match, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Takes Series over Bandits with 7-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Find a Lump of Coal in Their Stocking on Christmas in July Night - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Soriano Shines in LumberKings Series Winner - Clinton LumberKings
- Hernandez Homers, Warren Shines in Dragons 7-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Pepiot, Ochsenbein Shine in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Kirwer Rejoins Lugnuts, Pruitt to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kody Funderburk activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Peoria (Game 95) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Jimmy Nelson Scheduled for Rehabilitation Assignment with the Timber Rattlers on Sunday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Power Course to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne Gets the Show, and the Greatest Comeback in TinCaps History - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.