Dayton Takes Series over Bandits with 7-1 Win
Davenport, IA - The Dayton Dragons became the first Eastern Division team to take a series from the Quad Cities River Bandits with a 7-1 in the rubber match on Friday night at Modern Woodmen Park. Two Dayton pitchers combined to limit the River Bandits to just one unearned run on two hits.
Quad Cities (15-11, 58-34) was actually the team that got off to a quick start, taking the lead in the bottom of the first inning. Austin Dennis opened the game by working an 11-pitch walk off of Dayton starter Adrian Rodriguez. Dennis stole second and later advanced to third base on a throwing error by catcher Pabel Manzanero. A sacrifice fly off the bat of Ramiro Rodriguez put the Bandits in front 1-0.
From that point forward it was all Dayton (13-14, 41-56). The Dragons tied the game in the top of the second inning with an RBI single to center field from Jay Schuyler. An unearned run in the third would push them to a 2-1 lead. Randy Ventura opened the frame with a single against Bandits starter Jose Bravo. A throwing error by Dennis at third with two outs allowed Ventura to score.
The Dragons pounded a couple of big home runs to extend their advantage in the sixth. Mariel Bautista launched his seventh of the season to start the inning and expand the lead to 3-1. Following a double and a walk, Miguel Hernandez also connected on a long ball to left field and the lead grew to 6-1. One final run came across in the Dayton eighth when, after a balk by reliever Luis De Paula, Ventura beat out a slow roller to short to drive in Cameron Warren from third.
Freudis Nova extended his hit streak to six games with a triple down the third base line for one of the Bandits two hits. Dayton received multiple hits from Warren, Schuyler and Ventura.
Bandits starter Jose Bravo took the loss, allowing six runs, five earned, on eight hits. Out of the bullpen, Luis De Paula surrendered one run on three hits.
The River Bandits open a new series against the Bowling Green Hot Rods on Saturday night at 6:35 p.m. The first 1,500 fans will receive a Colby Lopez bobblehead doll. Quad Cities will have RHP Lupe Chavez (0-0, 2.25) on the mound against Hot Rods RHP Alan Strong (6-4, 3.31).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Walk this Way: Six-Run Eighth Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Ruin Christmas in July In Fort Wayne - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Walk Past Kernels to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Atomic Pork Chops Drop Close Call - Kane County Cougars
- Vance's Walk-Off Propels Snappers to 3-2 Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Seize Rubber Match, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Takes Series over Bandits with 7-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Find a Lump of Coal in Their Stocking on Christmas in July Night - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Soriano Shines in LumberKings Series Winner - Clinton LumberKings
- Hernandez Homers, Warren Shines in Dragons 7-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Pepiot, Ochsenbein Shine in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Kirwer Rejoins Lugnuts, Pruitt to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kody Funderburk activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Peoria (Game 95) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Jimmy Nelson Scheduled for Rehabilitation Assignment with the Timber Rattlers on Sunday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Power Course to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne Gets the Show, and the Greatest Comeback in TinCaps History - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Missed Opportunities Haunt Bandits in 2-1 Loss
- Bandits Blanked 2-0 in First Game of Series at Peoria
- Bandits Finish Homestand with Impressive 9-3 Win
- Four-Run Fifth Catapults Kernels over River Bandits
- River Bandits Hold off Kernels Late Charge in 5-4 Win