Captains Walk Past Kernels to Avoid Sweep
EASTLAKE, OHIO - A six-run, six-walk eighth inning was the difference Friday at Classic Park as the Lake County Captains defeated the Cedar Rapids Kernels by a final score of 8-3. Cedar Rapids (16-11, 55-42) still claimed a 2-1 series win in the opening segment of a six-game Eastern Division road trip.
Gilberto Celestino and Gabe Snyder hit back-to-back home runs to give the Kernels a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Celestino sent a one-out solo shot into the left-field bleachers for his fifth round-tripper of the season. Snyder followed with his team-high 11th homer on a no-doubter to right-center field.
Trevor Casanova extended the advantage to 3-0 Cedar Rapids during the second inning. Casanova's fourth blast for the Kernels was a leadoff solo smash over the center-field wall.
Lake County (15-12, 55-41) closed the gap to 3-2 by the end of the seventh. Cody Farhat lifted a home run to center field within the fourth that broke up the shutout. Three innings later, Hosea Nelson cut the deficit in half with a seventh-inning homer to right field.
In the eighth inning, the Captains surged in front. Jose Fermin recorded a game-tying single and scored the go-ahead run on Miguel Jerez's bases-loaded walk. Farhat added the first insurance run via passed ball. After an RBI walk for Daniel Schneemann, Ruben Cardenas capped the scoring with a two-run single for an 8-3 Lake County edge.
Luis Valdez (1-0) earned the victory while Kody Funderburk (0-1) was charged with the loss and a blown save. Valdez tossed two scoreless frames in his Midwest League debut to finish the game. Four runs were tagged to Funderburk who pitched 2.1 innings within his first appearance back from the injured list.
This six-game road trip continues Saturday at 6:05 p.m. ET (5:05 p.m. CT) with the opener of a three-game series at the Fort Wayne TinCaps. Cedar Rapids right-hander Kai-Wei Teng (3-0, 1.58) will start against Fort Wayne right-hander Efraín Contreras (4-3, 3.13). Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will call the action on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com and www.kernels.com.
Cedar Rapids will be back at home from Wednesday, July 24 through Monday, July 29. Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Walk this Way: Six-Run Eighth Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Ruin Christmas in July In Fort Wayne - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Walk Past Kernels to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Atomic Pork Chops Drop Close Call - Kane County Cougars
- Vance's Walk-Off Propels Snappers to 3-2 Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Seize Rubber Match, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Takes Series over Bandits with 7-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Find a Lump of Coal in Their Stocking on Christmas in July Night - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Soriano Shines in LumberKings Series Winner - Clinton LumberKings
- Hernandez Homers, Warren Shines in Dragons 7-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Pepiot, Ochsenbein Shine in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Kirwer Rejoins Lugnuts, Pruitt to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kody Funderburk activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Peoria (Game 95) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Jimmy Nelson Scheduled for Rehabilitation Assignment with the Timber Rattlers on Sunday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Power Course to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne Gets the Show, and the Greatest Comeback in TinCaps History - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.