TinCaps Find a Lump of Coal in Their Stocking on Christmas in July Night
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The TinCaps couldn't complete the series sweep of the Peoria Chiefs (St. Louis Cardinals affiliate), falling 6-4 in front of 6,448 fans on a night with a heat index above 100 degrees.
Peoria (5-22, 35-61) struck first with a lone run in the top of the second, but the TinCaps (9-18, 42-53) roared right back to take the lead on a no-doubt, two-run home run by Tucupita Marcano in the bottom of the third. Marcano's second homer of the season was a 409-foot blast that sailed onto the right-field concourse at an exit velocity of 104 miles per hour.
Fort Wayne manufactured another run in the fourth inning. Luke Becker bunted for single leading off the inning, moving to second on a bad throw to first on his bunt attempt. Justin Lopez advanced him to third on a groundout, and Becker then came home to score on a wild pitch to the backstop.
The Chiefs surged in front with five runs on five hits in the fifth. Four of the hits and three of the runs came with two outs, including a two-run double by Edwin Figuera.
The 'Caps crept closer when Jawuan Harris scored in the seventh on an Ethan Skender RBI groundout, but couldn't quite complete the comeback. Fort Wayne left four runners on base combined between the final three innings, and eight runners on base overall in the game.
Henry Henry tossed another strong outing out of the bullpen, going three scoreless innings with just one hit allowed. The Midwest League All-Star has thrown eight combined scoreless frames in his last four outings with eight strikeouts.
Saturday, July 20 vs. Cedar Rapids (6:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Efraín Contreras
- Chiefs Probable Starter: RHP Kai-Wei Teng
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Walk this Way: Six-Run Eighth Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Ruin Christmas in July In Fort Wayne - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Walk Past Kernels to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Atomic Pork Chops Drop Close Call - Kane County Cougars
- Vance's Walk-Off Propels Snappers to 3-2 Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Seize Rubber Match, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Takes Series over Bandits with 7-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Find a Lump of Coal in Their Stocking on Christmas in July Night - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Soriano Shines in LumberKings Series Winner - Clinton LumberKings
- Hernandez Homers, Warren Shines in Dragons 7-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Pepiot, Ochsenbein Shine in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Kirwer Rejoins Lugnuts, Pruitt to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kody Funderburk activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Peoria (Game 95) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Jimmy Nelson Scheduled for Rehabilitation Assignment with the Timber Rattlers on Sunday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Power Course to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne Gets the Show, and the Greatest Comeback in TinCaps History - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.