Hot Rods Game Notes
Bowling Green is looking to avoid a sweep at the hands of Kane County, which would be the Cougars' third in the all-time series between the two clubs.
About Last Night... The Bowling Green Hot lost their second straight game to the Kane County Cougars, suffering a shutout in the 6-0 Thursday night loss. For the second straight night, the Cougars plated two runs in the bottom of the first and never looked back. Miller Hogan took the mound for Bowling Green on his birthday, and after the first inning settled down to hold the Cougars to three runs over his four innings of work, but the offense was 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position during the game. The loss has the Hot Rods looking to avoid a sweep on Friday night in the series finale.
Avoid the Broom... The Hot Rods have been swept three times this season, with the most recent happening at Bowling Green Ballpark July 10-12 against the Beloit Snappers. All three of the sweeps have come in three-game series while the other two were are the hands of the South Bend Cubs (June 4-6) and the Fort Wayne Tincaps (June 11-13).
Qsar's Rising Star... Jordan Qsar extended his hit streak on Thursday to eight-games, tying him with Kaleo Johnson for the eighth longest hitting streak of the 2019 season on the team. Qsar extended his stretch with some good fortune on Thursday: an infield singled thanks to a check swing that put the ball in play. Qsar is batting .348 over those eight games, posting a .500 OBP with two homers. The lefty also has an 11-game on base streak to boot.
Everyone is Aboard... The Hot Rods have multiple active on-base streaks heading into Friday's series finale against Kane County. Seaver Whalen leads the team with a 15-gamer, which is also the fifth-longest active streak in the league. Whalen has a .433 OBP over that stretch, while Jordan Qsar has an 11-game streak and a .465 OBP. Chris Betts' OB streak reached 10 games while other streaks include Roberto Alvarez's six-game streak, Izzy Wilson's five gamer, and Connor Hollis' four-game streak.
Against the Cougars... BG returns to Geneva, IL for the first time since 2017, where the Hot Rods took the three-game series 2-1. While 2018 went BG's way as well, the all-time series has the Cougars ahead 14-15 heading into Friday's series finale where Kane County will go for their third all-time sweep of the Hot Rods. The Hot Rods swept the Cougars in 2012, 3-0, but Kane County has accomplished the feat twice against BG in 2013 and 2014. The Cougars won by their largest margin in the all-time series on July 11 with a 9-2 victory while Bowling Green's biggest margin was nine-run win during the 2016 season. The Hot Rods are 6-8 all-time at Northwestern Medicine Field.
Yesterday's Notes... Betts and Proctor each have three-game hitting streaks... Betts had his 18th multi-hit game... Jordan Qsar extended his hit streak to eight games... Six Hot Rods had hits... The team was 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position... Bowling Green falls to 10-10 against the Western Division... The last time BG was shutout was June 11 against Fort Wayne... Bowling Green falls to 16-13 in games decided by four or more runs... The Hot Rods are 16-9-4 in series this season...
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Walk this Way: Six-Run Eighth Propels Captains - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Ruin Christmas in July In Fort Wayne - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Walk Past Kernels to Avoid Sweep - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Atomic Pork Chops Drop Close Call - Kane County Cougars
- Vance's Walk-Off Propels Snappers to 3-2 Victory - Beloit Snappers
- Bees Seize Rubber Match, 7-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Takes Series over Bandits with 7-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Find a Lump of Coal in Their Stocking on Christmas in July Night - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Soriano Shines in LumberKings Series Winner - Clinton LumberKings
- Hernandez Homers, Warren Shines in Dragons 7-1 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Pepiot, Ochsenbein Shine in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Kirwer Rejoins Lugnuts, Pruitt to IL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kody Funderburk activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Peoria (Game 95) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Jimmy Nelson Scheduled for Rehabilitation Assignment with the Timber Rattlers on Sunday - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Power Course to Victory - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne Gets the Show, and the Greatest Comeback in TinCaps History - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.