Solar Bears Sign Defenseman Michael Brodzinski
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears have announced that the club has agreed to terms with defenseman Michael Brodzinski for the 2019-20 season.
Brodzinski, 24, returns to Orlando after spending the majority of last season assigned to the Solar Bears while under contract with the NHL's San Jose Sharks. In 69 regular season games with the Solar Bears, Brodzinksi tallied 38 points (9g-29a) and 16 penalty minutes, and also appeared in one match with the San Jose Barracuda of the American Hockey League. He also skated in 10 playoff games for Orlando, tallying three assists and two penalty minutes in the postseason. Brodzinski led the team in plus-minus with a +20, and his 29 assists in the regular season set a Solar Bears single-season record for assists by a defenseman. For his efforts with Orlando, Brodzinski was named the team's MVP for the 2018-19 season.
The 5-foot-11, 195-pound blueliner has 48 career points (12g-36a) and 30 penalty minutes in 92 career ECHL games with Orlando and the Allen Americans, and has added 10 points (2g-8a) and 46 penalty minutes in 61 career AHL games with the Barracuda.
Prior to turning pro, the native of Ham Lake, Minnesota played college hockey at the University of Minnesota, where he generated 48 points (18g-30a) and 62 penalty minutes in 99 career games for the Golden Gophers program.
Brodzinski played junior hockey for the Muskegon Lumberjacks of the United States Hockey League, appearing in 64 career games and registering 34 points (16g-18a) and 47 penalty minutes. During the 2012-13 season, the defenseman was
Brodzinski was a fifth-round selection (#141 overall) by the San Jose Sharks in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
In a related move, Orlando has placed defenseman Kevin Lohan on the team's reserve list and has activated forward Alexei Lipanov from the reserve list.
Orlando's Season-Opening Roster is now as follows:
Orlando Solar Bears 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster
Jake Jackson [R]
Ivan Kosorenkov [AHL-SJ]
Tristin Langan [R, AHL-SJ]
Alexey Lipanov [R, NHL-TB]
Ryan Lohin [R, NHL-TB]
Marcus Vela [AHL-SJ]
Taylor Doherty [V]
Mike Monfredo [V]
Matthew Spencer [NHL-TB]
Zachary Fucale [AHL-SYR]
Spencer Martin [NHL-TB]
Zach Sawchenko [AHL-SJ]
Dylan Fitze (F)
Kevin Lohan (D)
Tyler Bird (F)
Jimmy Lodge (F)
[V] = Veteran (Has at least 260 regular season games of professional experience in qualifying leagues as of the start of the 2019-20 season)
[R] = Rookie
[NHL-TB] = NHL Tampa Bay Lightning contract
[AHL-SYR] = AHL Syracuse Crunch contract
[AHL-SJ] = AHL San Jose Barracuda contract
The Solar Bears will continue to hold on-ice practice sessions this week at the RDV Sportsplex Ice Den at 10 a.m. each morning. All practice sessions are open to the public. Flash photography and unauthorized video recording of Orlando Solar Bears practice sessions is not permitted. The RDV Sportsplex Ice Den is located at 8701 Maitland Summit Blvd., Orlando, FL 32810.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 10, 2019
- Solar Bears Sign Defenseman Michael Brodzinski - Orlando Solar Bears
- Solar Bears to Televise Home Opener Saturday on WKMG-TV News 6 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rush Introduce KKLS as New Broadcast Home of Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Release 2019-2020 Opening Day Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Growlers to Celebrate Opening Night with Two Kelly Cups - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Announces Season-Opening Roster - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Announce Season-Opening Roster for 2019-20 - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Unveil Season-Opening Roster - Tulsa Oilers
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits Release Season Opening Roster - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Add 3 to Active Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Announce 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- Everblades Announce 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Announce Season-Opening Roster - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Season-Opening Rosters - ECHL
- The Worcester Railers HC Announce 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Worcester Railers HC
- Walleye Announce Season-Opening Roster - Toledo Walleye
- Growlers Announce Opening Night Roster - Newfoundland Growlers
- K-Wings Announce Season-Opening Roster - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Announce Opening Night Roster - Reading Royals
- Thunder Announce 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Adirondack Thunder
- Indy Fuel Announce Season Opening Roster - Indy Fuel
- Komets Launch 68th Season Saturday; Arich Rival Wings Visit for Opener - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Announce 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Announce Opening Night Roster - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.