Komets Launch 68th Season Saturday; Arich Rival Wings Visit for Opener
Fort Wayne, IN - The Komets will open their 68th season of professional hockey in Fort Wayne Saturday night when the arch rival Kalamazoo Wings visit for a 7:35 faceoff. Fans are encouraged to arrive early for the pregame festivities.
Orange light-up batons will be given away to first 5,000 fans through the doors and many of the Komet legends will be introduced prior to opening faceoff. The 36-game home schedule is filled with many affordable ticket programs and discount plans including Kids Seat Free Nights, special Family 4-Pack Nights, two Report Card Nights, Marathon Fill-Up Card Nights each Friday, Deuces Wild Wednesdays and Sunday night post-game free skates. Returning is the popular Season Ticket Recycling Nights for season ticket holders and more. For game dates featuring all of the promotions and specials pick up a free handy pocket schedule at the game and at many locations around the Fort Wayne area or visit Komets.com.
The Komets have won the last five straight season openers and improved to 37-25-5 with a 3-1 win at Indy last year. The Komets have a home-opening record of 42-19-6 after dropping a 5-3 affair to Kalamazoo at last year. The Komets are 2-4-2 when opening at home against the Wings and 1-3-0 when hosting Kalamazoo for the season opening tilt. The Komets battled the Wings to a 6-6-1 record in 13 meetings last year and are 223-163-52 after 438 regular season meetings overall since their first meeting on Nov. 15, 1974 when the Komets clipped Kalamazoo at Wings Stadium 2-1.
The Komets will open their eighth season as a member of the ECHL and will skate again in the Central Division of the Western Conference with Kalamazoo, Indy, Cincinnati, Toledo and Wheeling. A total of 26 teams make up the ECHL as the league celebrates its 32nd season.
Season-opening roster announced-- The Komets season-opening roster of 27 players includes 14 forwards, 10 defensemen and three goaltenders. Forwards include Brady Shaw, Anthony Petruzzelli, Brett McKenzie, Connor Sanvido, Gage Torrel, Shawn Szydlowski, Matthew Boudens, Mason Bergh, A.J. Jenks, Taylor Ross, Shawn St-Amant, Brad Ross, Alan Lyszczarczyk and Ian Mackey. Defensemen include Chase Stewart, Jason Binkley, Eric Israel, Marc-Olivier Duquette, Max Gottlieb, Kyle Hass, Matt Brassard, Olivier Galipeau, Will Petschenig and Brycen Martin. Goaltenders are Cole Kehler, Dylan Ferguson and Stephen Dhillon.
Martin was released from his PTO with the AHL's Chicago Wolves and has been added to the Fort Wayne season-opening roster. McKenzie and Galipeau will start the season on loan to the Chicago Wolves of the AHL. Brassard and Brad Ross start the season on injured reserve.
Looking ahead-- The Komets will remain home next week for back-to-back games against division rivals. Friday, Oct. 18 Wheeling returns for an 8:05pm faceoff. The Komets clipped the Nailers in both preseason games last weekend on Coliseum ice. Saturday, Oct. 19 the Toledo Walleye make their first appearance of the season on Sweetwater ice at 7:35pm.
Komets on ice:
Friday, Oct. 11.....Practice at the Coliseum, 10:15am-12noon
Saturday, Oct. 12.....Practice at the Coliseum, 10am-11am; Season-opener vs Kalamazoo, 7:35pm
Monday, Oct. 14.....Practice at the Coliseum, 9:30am-11:30am
Tuesday, Oct. 15.....Practice at the Coliseum, 9:30am-11:30am
Wednesday, Oct. 16.....Practice at the Coliseum, 9:30am-11:30am
Komet hockey on WOWO-- Fans can join the action with Shane Albahrani as he returns for his fourth full season behind the Komet microphone broadcasting play-by-play on WOWO AM 1190 and FM 107.5. Game broadcasts are also streamed live at Komets.com.
Get Komet Tickets-- Single game tickets are on sale at the Coliseum Ticket Office. Discounted group ticket packages for all 36 home games along with Season Tickets are on sale at the Komet office at 1010 Memorial Way in Fort Wayne. Also available are Flex Tickets, perfect as gifts and can be redeemed for tickets to any regular season game. For more information call 260-483-0011 or visit Komets.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 10, 2019
- Solar Bears Sign Defenseman Michael Brodzinski - Orlando Solar Bears
- Solar Bears to Televise Home Opener Saturday on WKMG-TV News 6 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rush Introduce KKLS as New Broadcast Home of Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Release 2019-2020 Opening Day Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Growlers to Celebrate Opening Night with Two Kelly Cups - Newfoundland Growlers
- Thunder Announces Season-Opening Roster - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Announce Season-Opening Roster for 2019-20 - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Unveil Season-Opening Roster - Tulsa Oilers
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits Release Season Opening Roster - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Add 3 to Active Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Announce 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- Everblades Announce 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Announce Season-Opening Roster - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Season-Opening Rosters - ECHL
- The Worcester Railers HC Announce 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Worcester Railers HC
- Walleye Announce Season-Opening Roster - Toledo Walleye
- Growlers Announce Opening Night Roster - Newfoundland Growlers
- K-Wings Announce Season-Opening Roster - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Announce Opening Night Roster - Reading Royals
- Thunder Announce 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Adirondack Thunder
- Indy Fuel Announce Season Opening Roster - Indy Fuel
- Komets Launch 68th Season Saturday; Arich Rival Wings Visit for Opener - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Announce 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Announce Opening Night Roster - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.