Skid Continues as Freedom Drop Middle-Game
MARION, Ill - Right-hander, Zak Spivy worked quick and performed well en route to a quality-start, but the Florence Freedom, presented by Titan Mechanical Solutions, dropped the middle-game, 2-1, to the Southern Illinois Miners on Wednesday night at Rent One Park.
Scoring the first run of the contest in the bottom of the second, Southern Illinois (46-34) used an RBI-single from Arturo Nieto to take a, 1-0, lead in game two.
Freedom (48-34) hurler, Zak Spivy would go on to span 7 one-run innings, scattering five hits and walking two, with two whiffs in a no-decision.
Florence evened the score in the fifth, plating a run off Miners ace, Chase Cunningham (9-4) when Luis Pintor stroked a single to center that scored Austin Wobrock after his lead-off walk.
Cunningham would allow one earned run over 8 strong innings, fanning seven and walking a pair in what became the ninth victory of the season for the right-hander.
With reliever, Jared Cheek (0-1) on the hill in the bottom of the eighth, Southern Illinois scratched across the eventual game-winning run. A lead-off walk to Kirvin Moesquit started the rally, Omar Obregon bunting the runner to second. After Yeltsin Gudino dropped a single to right to put runners on the corners, Gianfranco Wawoe plated the go-ahead run, reaching first on an error by third baseman Trevor Craport that helped the home team take the, 2-1, edge. The miscue was the second of the game for Florence, who has now made 70 errors in 2019.
Cheek would suffer the loss, allowing the unearned run that will keep the reliever's ERA at 0.00 in five appearances with the Freedom.
Toeing the rubber for the second time in as many games in the ninth for Southern Illinois, Gabe Gentner closed the door on save number ten of the season, stranding the tying run at third base in the one-run, 2-1, Miners victory.
Florence will hope to snap their five-game losing streak in the series finale at Rent One Park on Thursday. Lefty, Mike Castellani (6-2, 2.81) will take the ball for the Freedom opposite southpaw, Cole Cook (1-0, 3.60) of the Miners with first pitch slated for 6:35 p.m. CDT.
The Florence Freedom are members of the Independent Frontier League and play all home games at UC Health Stadium located at 7950 Freedom Way in Florence, KY. The Freedom can be found online at florencefreedom.com, or by phone at (859) 594-4487.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Miners Come up Short in Florence Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers Offense Dominates to Win Series against Gateway - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Drop Finale to Crushers - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington Drops Series Finale to Slammers - Washington Wild Things
- Oh How Sweep It Is: Slammers Beat Wild Things 4-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Thunderbolts Take Second Straight Shutout Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Drop Second Straight in Shutout Fashion - Schaumburg Boomers
- Jordan Brink Signed by Brewers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Hit Home Stretch of Regular Season with Fun, New Promotions - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Doubleheader against Rascals - Evansville Otters
- Slammers Take Series Lead, Beat Wild Things 3-2 - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Win on Thornton's Masterpiece - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Split Doubleheader with Otters - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Leave 11 in One-Run Loss to Slammers - Washington Wild Things
- Skid Continues as Freedom Drop Middle-Game - Florence Freedom
- Boomers Drop Key Pitcher's Duel - Schaumburg Boomers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.