ThunderBolts Win on Thornton's Masterpiece
CRESTWOOD, IL - Tyler Thornton tossed a two-hit shutout and Tyler Alamo homered to give the ThunderBolts a 1-0 win over the Schaumburg Boomers at Ozinga Field Wednesday night.
Thornton was brilliant from the start as he retired the first 15 batters he faced, striking out three along the way.
Payton Lobdell was nearly as good for the Boomers (40-40) to start. He allowed only one hit over the first three innings and struck out Tanner Gardner with runners at first and second for the final out of the third.
Alamo jumped on the first pitch of the fourth inning, lining it over the left-centerfield wall for his 11th home run, giving the ThunderBolts (33-47) a 1-0 lead.
Chase Dawson was the first Boomer to reach base as he singled on the first pitch of the sixth inning. He made it as far as second base but was stranded.
The Boomers also got a man to second in the eighth inning but couldn't come up with the clutch hit they needed.
Thornton threw 111 pitches through eight innings but came out to start the ninth and retired the first two batters of the inning. Luis Roman doubled, but Thornton got Quincy Nieporte to groundout to end the game.
Thornton (6-2) struck out ten in his first career complete game. He allowed two hits and two walks to pick up the win.
Lobdell (2-8) was the tough-luck loser. He allowed just three hits over six innings and the Bolts managed just two base runners after the Alamo home run.
The series wraps up with the rubber match on Thursday evening. Cole Bellair (2-5, 6.47) starts for the Bolts against Schaumburg's Aaron Rozek (5-4, 3.17). First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 at Ozinga Field with a postgame fireworks show and a Zelo Pro Wrestling show on White Castle Wrestling Thursday. It is also a Bud Light Thirsty Thursday. Fans not at the ballpark can listen on WXAV, 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Miners Come up Short in Florence Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers Offense Dominates to Win Series against Gateway - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Drop Finale to Crushers - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington Drops Series Finale to Slammers - Washington Wild Things
- Oh How Sweep It Is: Slammers Beat Wild Things 4-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Thunderbolts Take Second Straight Shutout Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Drop Second Straight in Shutout Fashion - Schaumburg Boomers
- Jordan Brink Signed by Brewers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Hit Home Stretch of Regular Season with Fun, New Promotions - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Doubleheader against Rascals - Evansville Otters
- Slammers Take Series Lead, Beat Wild Things 3-2 - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Win on Thornton's Masterpiece - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Split Doubleheader with Otters - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Leave 11 in One-Run Loss to Slammers - Washington Wild Things
- Skid Continues as Freedom Drop Middle-Game - Florence Y'alls
- Boomers Drop Key Pitcher's Duel - Schaumburg Boomers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City ThunderBolts Stories
- Frontier League Named Partner of Major League Baseball
- Windy City ThunderBolts Will Not Have Baseball in 2020 as Frontier League Suspends Entire Championship Season
- ThunderBolts Close Season with Blowout Win
- Florence Comes from Behind to Beat ThunderBolts
- Big Ninth Inning Carries ThunderBolts over Schaumburg