Washington Drops Series Finale to Slammers
JOLIET, Il. - The Wild Things scored first in Thursday's series finale but a two-error, three-hit, three-run third for the Joliet Slammers was the difference, as Joliet hung on to win and even the season series at six in its final contest, by a final of 4-1.
Washington scored in the first inning when catcher Cody Erickson drove home Ryan Cox, who had walked on four pitches to start the game, with a sacrifice fly. The Wild Things loaded the bases in the second but didn't get anything out of it, despite the three baserunners reaching on free passes.
Joliet's third inning was the difference. After JJ Fernandez dropped a foul ball trying to make a basket, over-the-shoulder catch, Chaz Meadows walked. It would snowball on the Wild Things, who saw Joliet notch a bunt single, a broken-bat flair single and a fister through the middle for their three hits in the inning. Washington also made two errors in the inning, and found themselves down 3-1 as a result.
Joliet starter Keegan Long retired 13 of the next 14 Wild Things to come to the plate after they had the bases full with one out in the second. An inning-ending double play started the string. In total the Wild Things managed just two hits. Washington also loaded the bases with one out in the seventh but another double play on the first pitch of Cox' at bat resulted in Long getting out of the frame unscathed.
Clayton Harp hit a solo homer in the seventh to push the Slammers lead to 4-1.
John Havird started for Washington and logged seven innings, allowing four runs, three of which were earned, on nine hits. Havird fanned five and walked two. Jesus Balaguer ran his scoreless innings streak to 14.1 frames with a scoreless eighth.
The Wild Things and Slammers split the season series. Washington now returns home for the penultimate homestand of the season, with three against the Windy City ThunderBolts over the weekend. Friday's first pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Miners Come up Short in Florence Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers Offense Dominates to Win Series against Gateway - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Drop Finale to Crushers - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington Drops Series Finale to Slammers - Washington Wild Things
- Oh How Sweep It Is: Slammers Beat Wild Things 4-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Thunderbolts Take Second Straight Shutout Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Drop Second Straight in Shutout Fashion - Schaumburg Boomers
- Jordan Brink Signed by Brewers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Hit Home Stretch of Regular Season with Fun, New Promotions - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Doubleheader against Rascals - Evansville Otters
- Slammers Take Series Lead, Beat Wild Things 3-2 - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Win on Thornton's Masterpiece - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Split Doubleheader with Otters - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Leave 11 in One-Run Loss to Slammers - Washington Wild Things
- Skid Continues as Freedom Drop Middle-Game - Florence Y'alls
- Boomers Drop Key Pitcher's Duel - Schaumburg Boomers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.