Grizzlies Drop Finale to Crushers
AVON, Ohio - The Gateway Grizzlies fell behind in the middle innings Thursday night and never recovered in a 12-5 loss to the Lake Erie Crushers at Sprenger Stadium.
Gateway (32-49) lost its second straight game and three out of four contests in the series.
After the Grizzlies scored in the second inning to tie the game 1-1, Lake Erie (43-37) rattled off seven unanswered runs in the middle innings to take an 8-1 lead. The Crushers stretched their advantage to 12-2 before the Grizzlies scored three runs on only one hit in the ninth inning for the final margin.
Chris Carden (7-3) took a rare defeat. He allowed five runs (all earned) over 4 2/3 innings and struck out two against a career-high six walks. Carden had tossed at least 5 1/3 innings in each of his first 14 starts of 2019.
Jason Seever retired all four Crushers he faced and struck out three. Brent Sakurai - Gateway's normal shortstop - was the only other Grizzlies pitcher without a run charged against him; he got the final two outs in the eighth inning in his second pitching appearance of the series, his third of the season, and his seventh in the last two years for the Grizzlies. He added an RBI single in the ninth.
Shawon Dunston Jr. had the Grizzlies' only multi-hit game with a pair of singles and a run scored.
After an overnight bus trip, the Grizzlies will open a three-game series Friday against the Evansville Otters at historic Bosse Field in Evansville, Ind., with a 6:35 p.m. CDT first pitch. Jordan Barrett is Gateway's scheduled starter.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Miners Come up Short in Florence Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers Offense Dominates to Win Series against Gateway - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Drop Finale to Crushers - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington Drops Series Finale to Slammers - Washington Wild Things
- Oh How Sweep It Is: Slammers Beat Wild Things 4-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Thunderbolts Take Second Straight Shutout Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Drop Second Straight in Shutout Fashion - Schaumburg Boomers
- Jordan Brink Signed by Brewers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Hit Home Stretch of Regular Season with Fun, New Promotions - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Doubleheader against Rascals - Evansville Otters
- Slammers Take Series Lead, Beat Wild Things 3-2 - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Win on Thornton's Masterpiece - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Split Doubleheader with Otters - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Leave 11 in One-Run Loss to Slammers - Washington Wild Things
- Skid Continues as Freedom Drop Middle-Game - Florence Freedom
- Boomers Drop Key Pitcher's Duel - Schaumburg Boomers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.