Wild Things Leave 11 in One-Run Loss to Slammers
JOLIET, Il. - The Wild Things fell in Wednesday's middle game at Joliet by a final of 3-2 after trailing 3-0, and leaving 11 total runners aboard. The Wild Things were able to get the tying run to third and go-ahead run to second in the ninth, but came up shy of the comeback.
The Joliet Slammers scored the first three runs of the game. After four scoreless from Nick Wegmann, who ended up allowing the three runs (two earned) over seven innings, the home team got to him in the fifth to plate the game's first run on an RBI single by Clayton Harp. Harrison Bragg drove home the next two in the sixth with a double.
Washington got a run back in the top of the seventh on an infield run-scoring single by JR Davis and got its second run on Cody Erickson's fifth homer of the year in the eighth. The difference on the night was 11 runners left by Washington, including eight in the first four innings and two in the ninth, that were on with one out.
The loss is the 49th for Washington this season, which clinches a losing season for the eighth time in franchise history. The last was in 2016, when the team went 46-49 in 95 games. Nick Wegmann took the loss, falling to 6-6 despite his season ERA coming down to 3.02. Zach Strecker lowered his ERA to 1.18 with a scoreless eighth inning of work.
The finale of the series is tomorrow and will be the final time Joliet and Washington meet in 2019, and a sweep will be on the line for the Slammers, as well as a season-series split with the Wild Things. The season series will be 6-5 Washington heading to tomorrow as John Havird takes the mound for the visitors against Keegan Long for the Slammers. First pitch is slated for 8:05 p.m. ET from DuPage Medical Group Field.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Miners Come up Short in Florence Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers Offense Dominates to Win Series against Gateway - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Drop Finale to Crushers - Gateway Grizzlies
- Washington Drops Series Finale to Slammers - Washington Wild Things
- Oh How Sweep It Is: Slammers Beat Wild Things 4-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Thunderbolts Take Second Straight Shutout Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Drop Second Straight in Shutout Fashion - Schaumburg Boomers
- Jordan Brink Signed by Brewers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Hit Home Stretch of Regular Season with Fun, New Promotions - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Doubleheader against Rascals - Evansville Otters
- Slammers Take Series Lead, Beat Wild Things 3-2 - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Win on Thornton's Masterpiece - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Split Doubleheader with Otters - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Leave 11 in One-Run Loss to Slammers - Washington Wild Things
- Skid Continues as Freedom Drop Middle-Game - Florence Freedom
- Boomers Drop Key Pitcher's Duel - Schaumburg Boomers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.