Six-Game Point Streak Snapped vs. Brampton, 3-1
Reading, PA - Reading Royals forward Matthew Strome scored the team's first goal with 1:25 to go, but an empty-netter by Cam Bakker prevented a potential tying marker in a 3-1 loss vs. the Brampton Beast Sunday at Santander Arena. Reading has two games in hand on Brampton and leads the Beast by seven points for second place in the North. The Royals are 5-1-0-1 over the last seven games, a run that clinched a berth in the 2020 Kelly Cup Playoffs. Kelly Cup Playoff tickets start at just $13 ($10 for kids) and call âª610-898-7825 for more details.
Before the Royals' puck drop, Allentown Fire and Police defeated the Reading Fire and Police, 8-3, in the 15th annual Battle of the Badges game.
Sunday's game was scoreless entering the third. Beast forwards Connor Sanvido and Anthony Nigro (PPG) provided Brampton a 2-0 edge with a pair of strikes in the opening 8:54 of the third.
The Strome goal came with Royals netminder Tom McCollum (L, 17 saves, 2 GA) off the ice for an extra skater. Frank DiChiara lifted the puck over to Eric Knodel at the deep slot. Knodel then set up Strome at the right post for his ninth of the season.
Jamie Phillips blocked 20 shots in victory.
Following a game at Wheeling Tuesday at 10:45 a.m., Reading is home for the first-ever "Green Ice Weekend" Mar. 13-14 with multiple chances to win luxury prizes ($10,000 Friday, Jeep Compass Limited Saturday pres. by Savage Auto Group) if a fan can guess which Royals player will record a hat trick. Reading will wear special theme jerseys on both nights. Grab $1 green beers and $1 domestics on Friday and giveaways both nights (Deibler Dental Coaster on Friday, BSOHA Puck on Saturday).
Scoreless through 40
Sunday marked the first time since Nov. 16 the Royals were scoreless in a game through the first two periods. In that Nov. 16 win, Corey Mackin scored the game's only goal in overtime, the second time in 2019-20 the Royals have won a game by a 1-0 score. Reading has scored in 24 of the last 26 second periods.
Power play minutes
Both Reading and Brampton had five power-play chances and the clubs combined for 86 power-play opportunities in eight season series matchups.
The Royals and Beast split the series, 4-4-0-0. Reading went 8-for-50 against Brampton on the man up (16%) and yielded six goals in eight contests (30-for-36, 83.6%).
Upcoming Home Games: royalshockey.com/promotions
Sun., Mar. 8 at 4:00 p.m. vs. Brampton (First Responders Game, Pres. by Met-Ed)
Game pres. by Met-Ed - the Reading Fire/Police squads face the Allentown squads before the game at 12:30 p.m. - 1 ticket includes admission to both games | $1 Hot Dogs, Sodas and Nachos | Touch a Truck Event for Kids | Faith & Family Night - Church Group Rates Available | Heaven's Thunder music performance | Last Postgame Party of the season with players at Cheers! Restaurant at the DoubleTree Hotel.
Fri., Mar. 13 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Norfolk (Mental Health Awareness Night)
If a Royals player records a hat trick at the game, one fan will win $10,000 | Special Theme Jersey | Green Ice for the First Time in Royals History | Mental Health Awareness Night | College ID Night: $5 tickets with valid college ID at box office| $1 Green Beer and $1 Domestic Beers | Deibler Dental Royals and Flyers Alumni Coaster Set Giveaway
Sat., Mar. 14 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Norfolk (Autism Awareness, Scout and Teacher Appreciation)
Sensory-friendly game, with subdued atmosphere with music and lighting, plus quiet spaces in the arena | Green Ice
3 Lucky Fans will each get to pick a player they think will score a Hat Trick in a contest to win a Jeep Compass Limited | Autism Awareness jerseys | Scout & Teacher Night | BSOHA Royals Puck Giveaway | $1 Rainbow treat or Dippin' Dots | Diaper Drive to benefit Mary's Shelter in Reading
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 8, 2020
- Comeback Kids: Wichita Scores Three-Unanswered, Comes Back to Sweep Weekend Set vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Six-Game Point Streak Snapped vs. Brampton, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Christopoulos Sets Career-High with 51 Saves as Walleye Defeat Wings - Toledo Walleye
- IceMen Earn Another Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Resilient Swamp Rabbits Top IceMen in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Put up 52 Shots, Stymied by Toledo's Christopoulos - Kalamazoo Wings
- Drew Callin Seals the Deal in Portland for 3-2 Overtime Victory - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Magic Number Drops to 10 with OT Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Desharnais Returns from Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Clint Windsor to Return to Solar Bears from AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 8 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Playoff-Bound Royals Host Brampton Sunday at 4:00 - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Announce Updated Location for Planet Smoothie Meet-And-Greet - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, March 8, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Third Period Rally Falls Short - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win a 7-4 Thriller in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Streak Snapped in 5-4 Loss to Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Quince's Late Strike Lifts Rays over Steelheads - South Carolina Stingrays
- Super Skunk Apes: Four Answered Goals Lead to 4-1 Win - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return
- Royals Make Important Signing in Talented, Two-Way Forward Scarfo
- Suter Agrees to ECHL Deal, Royals Forward Group Coming into Focus
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Reading Puts Final Touches on Deal with G Ruck