Americans Third Period Rally Falls Short
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, dropped a 4-2 decision to the Tulsa Oilers on Saturday night in front of a packed house of 5,523 at Allen Event Center.
Charlie Sampair led the way for the Tulsa Oilers scoring two goals, his 20th and 21st of the season. The Oilers built a 2-0 lead with goals in the first and second period. Tulsa outshot the Americans 23 to 18 through the first 40 minutes of play.
The Americans didn't get their game going until the third period scoring two goals in 22 seconds to tie the game at 2-2. Olivier Archambault netted his 18th of the season at the 9:32 mark of the frame from Jack Sadek and Alex Breton. Then Jared VanWormer scored his 22nd of the year at 9:54 of the period to even the game at 2-2. Tulsa regained the lead later in the period when Steven Ruggiero fired one that found it's way past Allen goalie Andrew Shortridge to put the Oilers in front for good. Tulsa added an empty netter in the final minute to secure the victory.
The Allen Americans travel to Utah next weekend for three games against the Grizzlies. Tickets for all remaining home games are on sale NOW. Call 972-912-1000 for more information.
In the first game of the hockey doubleheader on Saturday, the Allen Police Department defeated the Allen Fire Unit 5-4 in a shootout. With the victory, the Police have cut the Fire lead to 6-5 in the overall series. Allen Police have won three straight years in a row.
1. TUL - S. Ruggiero
2. ALN - A. Breton
3. TUL - B. Gates
Images from this story
Allen Americans defenseman Jack Sadek vs. the Tulsa Oilers
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 8, 2020
- Comeback Kids: Wichita Scores Three-Unanswered, Comes Back to Sweep Weekend Set vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Six-Game Point Streak Snapped vs. Brampton, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Christopoulos Sets Career-High with 51 Saves as Walleye Defeat Wings - Toledo Walleye
- IceMen Earn Another Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Resilient Swamp Rabbits Top IceMen in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Put up 52 Shots, Stymied by Toledo's Christopoulos - Kalamazoo Wings
- Drew Callin Seals the Deal in Portland for 3-2 Overtime Victory - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Magic Number Drops to 10 with OT Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Desharnais Returns from Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Clint Windsor to Return to Solar Bears from AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 8 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Playoff-Bound Royals Host Brampton Sunday at 4:00 - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Announce Updated Location for Planet Smoothie Meet-And-Greet - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, March 8, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Third Period Rally Falls Short - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win a 7-4 Thriller in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Streak Snapped in 5-4 Loss to Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Quince's Late Strike Lifts Rays over Steelheads - South Carolina Stingrays
- Super Skunk Apes: Four Answered Goals Lead to 4-1 Win - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allen Americans Stories
- Americans Team up with "Patrol Stories" to Build Awareness of Positive Policing
- Americans Add to Training Camp Roster
- Americans Partner Classic of Texoma, Announces Big Donation to Toys for Tots
- Traditional Reds, New Whites Showcased in 2020-21 Season Sweaters
- Minnesota Wild Extends ECHL Affiliation Agreement with Allen Americans