IceMen Earn Another Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Greenville
JACKSONVILLE, FL - Michael Pelech scored at 4:15 of overtime to left the Greenville Swamp Rabbits to a 2-1 win over the Jacksonville Icemen at Veterans Memorial Arena Sunday afternoon. The game marked the third overtime game in as many days for the Icemen. Jacksonville collects five of a possible six points on the weekend.
The Icemen generated a plethora of quality scoring opportunities in the opening period of play, but goaltender Jake Kupsky turned aside all 14 shot thrown his direction. Despite the good start, the Icemen would still find themselves trailing at the first break.
Former Icemen forward Jimmy Lodge steered a pass to Dylan MacPherson at the left circle. MacPherson snapped a shot that clanked a shot bar down behind Icemen netminder Adam Carlson to give the Swamp Rabbits a 1-0 advantage.
Greenville controlled the tempo in the second period, generating a 14-2 shots on goal edge at one point in the middle frame. Despite this, the Icemen scored the lone goal on just their third and final shot of the period. Wacey Rabbit gathered the puck deep in the corner and elected to skate it to the side of the crease. Rabbit banked a shot off the skate of Kupsky that clipped into the net for the tying tally.
Both teams held each other in check during the third period to force the Icemen to overtime for third time in as many days.
The two teams exchanged chances in the extra session, but Greenville claimed the game when Michael Pelech scored off a rebound from a Kamerin Knault shot in the slot to seal the contest 2-1.
Jacksonville continues their homestand on Friday (March 13) against the Florida Everblades. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m.
Broadcast Information: Fans can catch all game broadcasts at www.mixlr.com/jaxicemen or watch the game online at ECHL.TV
Upcoming Home Game & Promotions
Friday, March 13, vs. Florida, 7:00 p.m. - It's a Wendy's Fry-Day Game. Fans can receive 4-tickets, 4-Icemen Mini Sticks and 4- Dave's Single Combos! Details available at www.jaxicemen.com or by calling 904-602-7825.
Friday, March 14, vs. South Carolina, 7:00 p.m. - Cancer Awareness Night! Join us in fight against cancer by wearing your pink to the game. The Icemen will wear special pink jerseys that will be auctioned off to benefit local cancer charities.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 8, 2020
- Comeback Kids: Wichita Scores Three-Unanswered, Comes Back to Sweep Weekend Set vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Six-Game Point Streak Snapped vs. Brampton, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Christopoulos Sets Career-High with 51 Saves as Walleye Defeat Wings - Toledo Walleye
- IceMen Earn Another Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Greenville - Jacksonville Icemen
- Resilient Swamp Rabbits Top IceMen in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Put up 52 Shots, Stymied by Toledo's Christopoulos - Kalamazoo Wings
- Drew Callin Seals the Deal in Portland for 3-2 Overtime Victory - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Magic Number Drops to 10 with OT Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Desharnais Returns from Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Clint Windsor to Return to Solar Bears from AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 8 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Playoff-Bound Royals Host Brampton Sunday at 4:00 - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Announce Updated Location for Planet Smoothie Meet-And-Greet - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, March 8, 2020 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Americans Third Period Rally Falls Short - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win a 7-4 Thriller in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Streak Snapped in 5-4 Loss to Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Quince's Late Strike Lifts Rays over Steelheads - South Carolina Stingrays
- Super Skunk Apes: Four Answered Goals Lead to 4-1 Win - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Icemen Stories
- Icemen Ink Defenseman Brandon Fortunato for 2021-22
- Icemen Add Size up Front with the Addition of Vladislav Mikhalchuk
- Icemen Bolster Forward Corps with the Return of Martin and Brown
- Icemen Agree to Terms with Forward Ben Hawerchuk
- Derek Lodermeier Returns to Jacksonville for a Second Season