Comeback Kids: Wichita Scores Three-Unanswered, Comes Back to Sweep Weekend Set vs. KC
INDEPENDENCE, MO - For the first time this season, Wichita won back-to-back games on the road with a comeback win at Kansas City, 3-2, on Sunday afternoon at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
Stefan Fournier potted the game-winner late in the third and Mitch Gillam held down the fort for his 15th win of the year.
Kansas City got off to a good start, scoring twice in the first 20 minutes. At 14:32, Mason Morelli got in behind the defense and scored to make it 1-0. Dylan Fitze made it 2-0 as he redirected a wrist shot from the blueline at 16:58.
Towards the end of the second, Wichita started to generate scoring chances and cashed in at 13:17 when Jacob Graves found Lane Bauer near the net and he re-directed a backhand past Nick Schneider to make it 2-1.
Garrett Schmitz tied the game at 9:30 of the third as he hammered a one-timer from the left circle past Schneider. At 13:31, Fournier gave Wichita its first lead of the game as he re-directed a pass from Ostap Safin and made it 3-2. Kansas City pulled Schneider down the stretch, but the Thunder held on for the win.
The Thunder have scored power play goals in six-straight games. Fournier has goals in back-to-back games on the weekend. Schmitz notched his 7th of the year while Bauer collected his 2nd of the season.
Wichita travels to Fort Wayne on Wednesday night to face the Komets.
Individual tickets for the rest of the season are on sale now. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 8, 2020
- Comeback Kids: Wichita Scores Three-Unanswered, Comes Back to Sweep Weekend Set vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Six-Game Point Streak Snapped vs. Brampton, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Christopoulos Sets Career-High with 51 Saves as Walleye Defeat Wings - Toledo Walleye
- IceMen Earn Another Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Greenville - Jacksonville Icemen
- Resilient Swamp Rabbits Top IceMen in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Put up 52 Shots, Stymied by Toledo's Christopoulos - Kalamazoo Wings
- Drew Callin Seals the Deal in Portland for 3-2 Overtime Victory - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Magic Number Drops to 10 with OT Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Desharnais Returns from Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Clint Windsor to Return to Solar Bears from AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 8 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Playoff-Bound Royals Host Brampton Sunday at 4:00 - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Announce Updated Location for Planet Smoothie Meet-And-Greet - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, March 8, 2020 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Americans Third Period Rally Falls Short - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win a 7-4 Thriller in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Streak Snapped in 5-4 Loss to Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Quince's Late Strike Lifts Rays over Steelheads - South Carolina Stingrays
- Super Skunk Apes: Four Answered Goals Lead to 4-1 Win - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.