Grizz Win a 7-4 Thriller in Rapid City
Rapid City, South Dakota - The Utah Grizzlies scored 3 unanswered goals in the third period to turn a 4-4 tie into a 7-4 victory over the Rapid City Rush on Saturday night.
Travis Barron got the party started for Utah as he scored on a delayed penalty 8:21 into the contest. Rush tied it up on the power play with Keeghan Howdeshell's 13th of the year. Rush went 3 for 5 on the power play, while Utah went 2 for 6. Mitch Maxwell scored with 22 seconds left in the first to give the Grizz a 2-1 lead after 1.
Yuri Terao scored on a rebound for his 18th of the year 1:40 into the second. Terao led Utah with 6 shots. Joe Wegwerth added to the lead on a rebound from a Taylor Richart shot for his 14th of the year. Rush got goals from Matteo Gennaro and Tyler Coulter later in the second period as Utah led 4-3 heading into the third.
Coulter scored his 2nd power play goal of the game 4:05 into the third to tie it up at 4-4. Ty Lewis gave Utah a lead as he converted on a rebound from a Terao shot 7:18 into the third. Lewis added a power play goal less than 2 minutes later for some insurance. Christian Horn scored with 6:03 left in regulation. It was Horn's debut with the Grizzlies, as he was acquired on March 5th in a trade with the Indy Fuel.
Lewis had 2 goals and 3 assists. Yuri Terao and Joe Wegwerth each had 1 goal and 2 assists. Taylor Richart had 3 assists.
Brad Barone gets the win for Utah as he stopped 33 of 37 shots. Rapid City's Gordon Defiel stopped 27 of 34 in the loss.
With Idaho losing 5-4 to South Carolina on Saturday night that means Utah is now tied with Idaho for 2nd place in the division with 79 points.
Grizzlies return home for a 3 game weekend series against the Allen Americans on March 13th-15th. Tickets are available now at the Maverik Center box office or Utahgrizzlies.com. Military Night is on March 14th where the Grizzlies will honor and thank those who have served the country.
1. Ty Lewis (Utah) - 2 goals, 3 assists.
2. Yuri Terao (Utah) - 1 goal, 2 assists.
3. Joe Wegwerth (Utah) - 1 goal, 2 assists.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 8, 2020
- Comeback Kids: Wichita Scores Three-Unanswered, Comes Back to Sweep Weekend Set vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Six-Game Point Streak Snapped vs. Brampton, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Christopoulos Sets Career-High with 51 Saves as Walleye Defeat Wings - Toledo Walleye
- IceMen Earn Another Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Greenville - Jacksonville Icemen
- Resilient Swamp Rabbits Top IceMen in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Put up 52 Shots, Stymied by Toledo's Christopoulos - Kalamazoo Wings
- Drew Callin Seals the Deal in Portland for 3-2 Overtime Victory - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Magic Number Drops to 10 with OT Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Desharnais Returns from Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Clint Windsor to Return to Solar Bears from AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 8 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Playoff-Bound Royals Host Brampton Sunday at 4:00 - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Announce Updated Location for Planet Smoothie Meet-And-Greet - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, March 8, 2020 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Americans Third Period Rally Falls Short - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win a 7-4 Thriller in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Streak Snapped in 5-4 Loss to Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Quince's Late Strike Lifts Rays over Steelheads - South Carolina Stingrays
- Super Skunk Apes: Four Answered Goals Lead to 4-1 Win - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.