Steelheads Win Streak Snapped in 5-4 Loss to Stingrays
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (36-18-7) saw their eight-game win streak end to close the homestand, falling 5-4 to the South Carolina Stingrays (44-13-4) on Saturday night from CenturyLink Arena in front of 5,316 fans, the 20th sellout of the season. The Steelheads ended the homestand with a 8-1-0 record.
The Steelheads netted the opening goal tonight at 10:53 of the first period when forward Diego Cuglietta patiently waited for an opening to come and slipped a shot through the five-hole to jump ahead 1-0. The Stingrays began a run of three-unanswered goals at 16:11 on a goal by defenseman Jesse Lees in-transition to tie the game, 1-1.
In the second period, the Stingrays continued their run at 8:55 on a spinning shot by forward Cameron Askew from the left circle to take the lead followed by another goal at 11:12, this time from forward Jaynen Rissling on a rebound tap at the left post, for the 3-1 advantage. The Steelheads answered quickly back with two goals in just over one minute. Steelheads forward Jonathan Charbonneau converted on the power play on a shot from the high slot at 12:28 followed by a one-time shot at the left dot by defenseman Eric Sweetman at the end of a net-front flurry to send the game tied, 3-3, into the final frame.
The Stingrays jumped out early in the third period with a goal from defenseman Tom Parisi at 2:37 for the one-goal edge, 4-3. At the end of a late power play at 13:08, Charbonneau fed Steelheads forward Colby McAuley across the zone for a one-time shot in the right circle to draw back even again at 4-4. However, Stingrays forward Marly Quince touched a pass into the net at 17:04, and the Steelheads could not come back in the eventual 5-4 loss.
Stingrays goaltender Logan Thompson (23-8-1) turned away 45 of 49 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Colton Point (7-9-2) halted 24 of 29 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads begin a three-game road weekend against the Rapid City Rush on Friday, Mar. 13 at 7:05 p.m. from Rushmore Plaza Civic Center. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket" & ECHL.tv.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Friday, Mar. 20 at 7:10 p.m. against the Utah Grizzlies. There's still time to cash in on the ultimate fan package with the Hockey Starter Pack! Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to inquire about getting your pack as well as planning your next outing with single-game tickets, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 8, 2020
- Comeback Kids: Wichita Scores Three-Unanswered, Comes Back to Sweep Weekend Set vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Six-Game Point Streak Snapped vs. Brampton, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Christopoulos Sets Career-High with 51 Saves as Walleye Defeat Wings - Toledo Walleye
- IceMen Earn Another Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Resilient Swamp Rabbits Top IceMen in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Put up 52 Shots, Stymied by Toledo's Christopoulos - Kalamazoo Wings
- Drew Callin Seals the Deal in Portland for 3-2 Overtime Victory - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Magic Number Drops to 10 with OT Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Desharnais Returns from Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Clint Windsor to Return to Solar Bears from AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 8 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Playoff-Bound Royals Host Brampton Sunday at 4:00 - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Announce Updated Location for Planet Smoothie Meet-And-Greet - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, March 8, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Third Period Rally Falls Short - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win a 7-4 Thriller in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Streak Snapped in 5-4 Loss to Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Quince's Late Strike Lifts Rays over Steelheads - South Carolina Stingrays
- Super Skunk Apes: Four Answered Goals Lead to 4-1 Win - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.