Steelheads Win Streak Snapped in 5-4 Loss to Stingrays
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (36-18-7) saw their eight-game win streak end to close the homestand, falling 5-4 to the South Carolina Stingrays (44-13-4) on Saturday night from CenturyLink Arena in front of 5,316 fans, the 20th sellout of the season. The Steelheads ended the homestand with a 8-1-0 record.
The Steelheads netted the opening goal tonight at 10:53 of the first period when forward Diego Cuglietta patiently waited for an opening to come and slipped a shot through the five-hole to jump ahead 1-0. The Stingrays began a run of three-unanswered goals at 16:11 on a goal by defenseman Jesse Lees in-transition to tie the game, 1-1.
In the second period, the Stingrays continued their run at 8:55 on a spinning shot by forward Cameron Askew from the left circle to take the lead followed by another goal at 11:12, this time from forward Jaynen Rissling on a rebound tap at the left post, for the 3-1 advantage. The Steelheads answered quickly back with two goals in just over one minute. Steelheads forward Jonathan Charbonneau converted on the power play on a shot from the high slot at 12:28 followed by a one-time shot at the left dot by defenseman Eric Sweetman at the end of a net-front flurry to send the game tied, 3-3, into the final frame.
The Stingrays jumped out early in the third period with a goal from defenseman Tom Parisi at 2:37 for the one-goal edge, 4-3. At the end of a late power play at 13:08, Charbonneau fed Steelheads forward Colby McAuley across the zone for a one-time shot in the right circle to draw back even again at 4-4. However, Stingrays forward Marly Quince touched a pass into the net at 17:04, and the Steelheads could not come back in the eventual 5-4 loss.
Stingrays goaltender Logan Thompson (23-8-1) turned away 45 of 49 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Colton Point (7-9-2) halted 24 of 29 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads begin a three-game road weekend against the Rapid City Rush on Friday, Mar. 13 at 7:05 p.m. from Rushmore Plaza Civic Center. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket" & ECHL.tv.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Friday, Mar. 20 at 7:10 p.m. against the Utah Grizzlies. There's still time to cash in on the ultimate fan package with the Hockey Starter Pack! Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to inquire about getting your pack as well as planning your next outing with single-game tickets, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 8, 2020
- Comeback Kids: Wichita Scores Three-Unanswered, Comes Back to Sweep Weekend Set vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Six-Game Point Streak Snapped vs. Brampton, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Christopoulos Sets Career-High with 51 Saves as Walleye Defeat Wings - Toledo Walleye
- IceMen Earn Another Point in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Resilient Swamp Rabbits Top IceMen in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Put up 52 Shots, Stymied by Toledo's Christopoulos - Kalamazoo Wings
- Drew Callin Seals the Deal in Portland for 3-2 Overtime Victory - Worcester Railers HC
- Mariners Magic Number Drops to 10 with OT Loss to Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Desharnais Returns from Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- Clint Windsor to Return to Solar Bears from AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 8 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Playoff-Bound Royals Host Brampton Sunday at 4:00 - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Announce Updated Location for Planet Smoothie Meet-And-Greet - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, March 8, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Third Period Rally Falls Short - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win a 7-4 Thriller in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Win Streak Snapped in 5-4 Loss to Stingrays - Idaho Steelheads
- Quince's Late Strike Lifts Rays over Steelheads - South Carolina Stingrays
- Super Skunk Apes: Four Answered Goals Lead to 4-1 Win - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Chase Stewart Agrees to Terms with Steelheads
- Goaltender Matt Jurusik Joins Steelheads
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Forward Calder Brooks and Defenseman Darren Brady Join Steelheads
- Idaho Central Arena: New Name, New Updates Coming to Downtown Boise