Shuckers Defeat Shrimp 7-1
BILOXI, Miss. - The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (5-13) fell to the Biloxi Shuckers (10-8) by a 7-1 score in the third game of the five-game series at MGM Park on Monday night.
Biloxi right-handed starting pitcher Braden Webb (1-3) earned the win, working five innings where he allowed one run (one earned run) on no hits with four walks and one strikeout. Jacksonville right-handed starting pitcher Robert Dugger (0-4) took the loss, allowing four runs (three earned) on three hits with two walks and six strikeouts.
Biloxi struck first with a run in the bottom of the first, as Weston Wilson brought home Trent Grisham from third on a fielder's choice to put the lead at 1-0. A Robert Dugger wild pitch scored Luis Aviles, Jr. from third in the bottom of the second to grow Biloxi's lead to 2-0. Wilson added a two-run homer for the Shuckers in the bottom of the fourth to put the lead at 4-0. Jacksonville scored in the top of the fifth when a wild pitch from Webb with the bases loaded scored Stone Garrett from third to make it a 4-1 game.
Against Jacksonville right-handed reliever Kolton Mahoney in the bottom of the sixth, Biloxi pinch-hitter Cooper Hummel delivered a two-out two-RBI single to grow the lead to 6-1. Biloxi also plated a run in the bottom of the eighth when a wild pitch by Jacksonville reliever Tyler Stevens scored Michael O'Neill from third base to make the score 7-1, which would be the final.
The Shuckers pitching staff combined to no-hit the Jumbo Shrimp through eight and a third innings, however Joe Dunand broke up the no-hitter bid with a single up the middle with one out in the top of the ninth against Shuckers reliever Nate Greip. The next batter Bryson Brigman grounded into a double play to end the contest for Jacksonville's seventh straight loss.
Magneuris Sierra saw his Southern League-best 14-game hitting streak come to an end, going 0-for-2 with a pair of walks.
The Jumbo Shrimp will continue their five-game series with the Biloxi Shuckers at MGM Park at 7:35 p.m. eastern on Tuesday night. Right-handed pitcher Jorge Guzman (0-2, 5.87 ERA) will start for Jacksonville against a Shuckers pitcher to be announced. Fans can listen to the game on the Jumbo Shrimp Network presented by Community First, beginning at 7:20 p.m. eastern with the pregame show "Shrimp On Deck" locally on Sunny 102.3 FM, on the TuneIn Radio app, and www.jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Near No-Hitter Leads Shuckers Past Jumbo Shrimp - Biloxi Shuckers
- Lookouts Split in Twin Bill - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Wahoos Complete Comeback for 7-4 Win over Mobile - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Shuckers Defeat Shrimp 7-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Smokies, Lookouts Split Twin Bill - Tennessee Smokies
- Lien, Johnstone Named Farm Bureau Players of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- Homers Hurt Barons in 5-2 Loss - Birmingham Barons
- Connor Lien Named Southern League Player of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- Basabe reinstated from injured list, transferred to Class-A Kannapolis - Birmingham Barons
- Pitching, Defense Central to Generals Win - Jackson Generals
- Didder's Walk-Off Bunt Gives M-Braves Second-Straight Win - Mississippi Braves
- M-Braves Clip Biscuits, 2-1 in 10 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Mike Montgomery Expected to Make Rehab Start Monday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, April 22 at Biloxi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Trey Supak Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Biloxi Shuckers
- Southern League Names Weekly Award Winners: April 15-21 - SL
- Generals Gameday: April 22 - Generals at Birmingham - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Pedrique to Lead Jumbo Shrimp Field Staff in 2021 Triple-A Season
- 121 Financial Ballpark Selected as Marlins' Alternate Training Site
- Jumbo Shrimp Announce Staff Promotions, Additions
- Fans Can Purchase Discounted Jumbo Shrimp, Suns Items at Sidewalk Sale
- Craw Named to MiLB Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee