Near No-Hitter Leads Shuckers Past Jumbo Shrimp
BILOXI, MS - The Biloxi Shuckers (10-8) fell two outs shy of their first ever nine-inning combined no-hitter on Monday night at MGM Park but walked away with a convincing 7-1 victory over the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (5-13). Extending their season-best winning streak to four games, Braden Webb (W,1-3) worked his longest start of the year and Weston Wilson went deep for a third straight day.
Webb worked with the lead from the second inning on as Biloxi scored in each of its first three frames. Grisham reached on an error to begin the first, stole third, and scored on a fielder's choice. Luis Aviles Jr. singled and scored on a wild pitch from Robert Dugger (L, 0-4) in the second and Wilson went deep off an elevated fastball in the third to make it 4-0. Wilson finished the day 1-for-4 with three RBI's and now leads the Shuckers with three homers on the year.
Working through five hitless innings, Webb walked four and surrendered his only run of the night when Stone Garrett scored on a wild pitch in the fifth inning.
Justin Topa took over from the pen and pitched a 1-2-3 sixth while Cooper Hummel contributed off the bench in the home half with a two-run single to make it 6-1. Luke Barker kept the no-hit bid intact with two perfect innings before Michael O'Neill walked and scored on a wild pitch from Tyler Stevens in the eighth.
Three outs from history, Nate Griep received the call in the ninth and coaxed Justin Twine into a groundout for the first out. Joe Dunand then came to plate and bounced a ball up the middle and past the reach of Luis Aviles Jr. for Jacksonville's lone hit. Griep drew the game-ending double play from Bryson Brigman, clinching the series over the Jumbo Shrimp and handing Jacksonville their seventh straight loss.
Biloxi's ten-game homestand and five-game series against the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp continues on Tuesday at 6:35 pm at MGM Park. The Shuckers starter is to be announced for Tuesday while the Jumbo Shrimp will send RHP Jorge Guzman (0-2, 5.87) to the mound. The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, TuneIn Radio or the MiLB First Pitch App. Fans can also watch the game on MiLB.TV and can save $10 off their subscription when they use the promo code 'Shuckers' at check out. It's T-Shirt Tuesday at MGM Park and the first 250 fans through the gates will receive a special 'The Office' t-shirt courtesy of the Gazebo Gazette.
Full Season Shuck Nation memberships, Weekender Shuck Nation memberships and Group Outings for the 2019 Biloxi Shuckers season are on sale now and are available for purchase by calling 228-233-3465, online at biloxishuckers.com or by visiting the MGM Park front office. Biloxi will host the 2019 Southern League All-Star Festivities, with a Home Run Derby on Monday, June 17 and the All-Star Game at 6:35 pm on Tuesday, June 18 at MGM Park. Tickets for 2019 All-Star Events are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Near No-Hitter Leads Shuckers Past Jumbo Shrimp - Biloxi Shuckers
- Lookouts Split in Twin Bill - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Wahoos Complete Comeback for 7-4 Win over Mobile - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Shuckers Defeat Shrimp 7-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Smokies, Lookouts Split Twin Bill - Tennessee Smokies
- Lien, Johnstone Named Farm Bureau Players of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- Homers Hurt Barons in 5-2 Loss - Birmingham Barons
- Connor Lien Named Southern League Player of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- Basabe reinstated from injured list, transferred to Class-A Kannapolis - Birmingham Barons
- Pitching, Defense Central to Generals Win - Jackson Generals
- Didder's Walk-Off Bunt Gives M-Braves Second-Straight Win - Mississippi Braves
- M-Braves Clip Biscuits, 2-1 in 10 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Mike Montgomery Expected to Make Rehab Start Monday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, April 22 at Biloxi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Trey Supak Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Biloxi Shuckers
- Southern League Names Weekly Award Winners: April 15-21 - SL
- Generals Gameday: April 22 - Generals at Birmingham - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Biloxi Shuckers Stories
- Biloxi Shuckers Announce 2021 Schedule
- Shuckers to Officially Remain Brewers Double-A Affiliate for Next 10 Years
- Shuckers & American Red Cross to Host Blood Drive at MGM Park
- 2021 Shuckers Coaching Staff Announced
- Louisiana Knights Back in Action at MGM Park for Fall Season