Homers Hurt Barons in 5-2 Loss
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - A couple home runs from the Jackson Generals (9-7) were the difference in the Birmingham Barons (9-9) 5-2 loss Monday at Regions Field.
The tone was set by Jackson in the second inning with two runners on. Generals left fielder Jeffrey Baez clubbed his first homer of the season to left to open up a 3-0 lead.
One inning later, Jackson's right fielder Jamie Westbrook hooked his 0-2 pitch from Barons left-handed starter Bernardo Flores inside the left field foul pole for his fourth homer of the season. The homer brought home Pavin Smith on base and expanded the lead to 5-1.
After Barons designated hitter Micker Adolfo doubled to lead off the second and came home to score one batter later on an RBI double from Blake Rutherford to make it a 3-1 deficit.
Barons second baseman Ramon Torres sharply hit a ball down the first base line in the third inning, scoring Ti'Quan Forbes from second to make it 5-2.
Forbes' infield single in the third extended his hitting streak to six consecutive games. Forbes led the Barons Monday with two hits.
Birmingham missed opportunities early on to make it more competitive. After Torres tripled, he tried to tag and score on a fly out to left by Laz Rivera. Baez made a strong throw home and gunned down Torres for the final out.
Yermin Mercedes led off the fourth inning with a double and was advanced to third one batter later, but back-to-back strikeouts by Adolfo and Rutherford stranded him to end the inning.
With Mercedes' double, he pushed his hitting streak to nine consecutive games. On the season, he and fellow catcher Alfredo Gonzalez lead a dangerous backstop combo. Both have combined to hit .388 on the season with 21 hits and eight RBI.
The Barons will now resume the series against the Generals at 7:05 p.m. on Tuesday from Regions Field. Right-hander Felix Paulino (2-0, 2.65 ERA) will toe the rubber for the Barons and make his third start of the season.
WJOX-AM 690 will be the home of the Barons on Tuesday. Fans can tune into the Coca-Cola Pregame Show starting at 6:50 p.m.
The Birmingham Barons are the proud Double-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. The Barons will open the home portion of their 2019 season, which celebrates the 25th anniversary of Michael Jordan's lone year in baseball, against the Tennessee Smokies at 7:05 p.m. April 10 at Regions Field. For ticket information, game schedule, promotions calendar or additional information about Regions Field, please visit barons.com or call (205) 988-3200.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Near No-Hitter Leads Shuckers Past Jumbo Shrimp - Biloxi Shuckers
- Lookouts Split in Twin Bill - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Wahoos Complete Comeback for 7-4 Win over Mobile - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Shuckers Defeat Shrimp 7-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Smokies, Lookouts Split Twin Bill - Tennessee Smokies
- Lien, Johnstone Named Farm Bureau Players of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- Homers Hurt Barons in 5-2 Loss - Birmingham Barons
- Connor Lien Named Southern League Player of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- Basabe reinstated from injured list, transferred to Class-A Kannapolis - Birmingham Barons
- Pitching, Defense Central to Generals Win - Jackson Generals
- Didder's Walk-Off Bunt Gives M-Braves Second-Straight Win - Mississippi Braves
- M-Braves Clip Biscuits, 2-1 in 10 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Mike Montgomery Expected to Make Rehab Start Monday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, April 22 at Biloxi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Trey Supak Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Biloxi Shuckers
- Southern League Names Weekly Award Winners: April 15-21 - SL
- Generals Gameday: April 22 - Generals at Birmingham - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.