Saltdogs Sign MLB Veteran Burns
LINCOLN - The Saltdogs signed former big league RHP Mike Burns Sunday, and he will be the starting pitcher for this evening's series finale at 5:05 against Sioux City.
Burns has pitched in 60 MLB games over three seasons for the Houston Astros, Cincinnati Reds, Boston Red Sox and Milwaukee Brewers.
The 34-year old first reached the big leagues in 2005 with Houston, and pitched most recently in "The Show" in 2009 for the Brewers. He is 3-5 with a 5.82 ERA in 103 2/3 innings, and has made eight MLB starts.
Burns last pitched in 2011 for Tabasco of the Mexican League (AAA) and Calgary of the North American Baseball League.
In 343 minor league games over 11 seasons, the Westminster, Calif. native has compiled a 72-68 record with a 3.72 ERA.
Burns was originally selected by the Houston Astros in the 2000 MLB draft out of Cal State Los Angeles.
To make room on the roster, the Saltdogs released LHP Nate Moreau. Moreau was 0-2 with a 7.41 ERA through four starts and had been bothered by an injury.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 9, 2013
- Diablos lose highly contested game and series against the AirHogs - El Paso Diablos
- Kansas City Falls Short, Drops Finale to Quebec City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Slug Way to 10-7 Victory over X's - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lincoln Defeats X's 10-7 - Sioux City Explorers
- Franchise First: Birds Sweep RailCats on the Road - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Recaps - AA
- King, RedHawks Sweep Goldeyes in 7-2 Victory - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Canaries Sweep 'Cats in 9-5 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Disappointing Road Trip Comes to an End - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Sign MLB Veteran Burns - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs to Resume Game Tonight - Laredo Lemurs
- Saints and Wingnuts Rained Out, Double Header on June 14 in Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Sunday's Game Postponed, Double Header Friday - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - June 9th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Lemurs game with Amarillo suspended - AA
- AirHogs come out on fire in 12-4 victory over Diablos - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs and Sox Postponed Till Sunday - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Clip Lincoln 6-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs return the favor, and tie the series at 1-1 - El Paso Diablos
- Raben's Big Night for Naught as 'Dogs Fall - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.