Kansas City Falls Short, Drops Finale to Quebec City
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - The Quebec City Capitales overcame an early Kansas City lead and took the rubber match of the three-game series, 4-3, in front of 5,478 and more than 100 dogs at CommunityAmerica Ballpark on Sunday night.
During the club's annual "Bark in the Park," the T-Bones got on the board first in the third inning, when Kansas City sent seven to the plate and came away with two runs against Dustin Crenshaw (4-1). A Trevor Coleman single to shallow right field with two outs scored Felix Molina and Kennard Jones and gave Kansas City a 2-0 lead.
Kansas City starter Lucas Irvine (0-2) held the Capitales hitless through three innings, and struck out five. However, Quebec City answered in the top of the fourth with a bases-loaded triple by Josue Peley, followed by a sacrifice fly by Royce Consigli that gave the Capitales a 4-2 lead.
The fight wasn't over for the T-Bones as Jairo Perez hit a one-out solo homer to left. Kansas City threatened in the bottom of the ninth with runners at the corners, but left two on base.
"I thought Irvine did a great job and pitched well enough for the win, but we didn't do what we needed to do offensively to get him the W," said T-Bones manager Kenny Hook.
Kansas City departs for a weeklong road trip beginning with a three-game series at Sioux City Monday night at 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 9, 2013
- Diablos lose highly contested game and series against the AirHogs - El Paso Diablos
- Kansas City Falls Short, Drops Finale to Quebec City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Slug Way to 10-7 Victory over X's - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lincoln Defeats X's 10-7 - Sioux City Explorers
- Franchise First: Birds Sweep RailCats on the Road - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Recaps - AA
- King, RedHawks Sweep Goldeyes in 7-2 Victory - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Canaries Sweep 'Cats in 9-5 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Disappointing Road Trip Comes to an End - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Sign MLB Veteran Burns - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs to Resume Game Tonight - Laredo Lemurs
- Saints and Wingnuts Rained Out, Double Header on June 14 in Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Sunday's Game Postponed, Double Header Friday - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - June 9th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Lemurs game with Amarillo suspended - AA
- AirHogs come out on fire in 12-4 victory over Diablos - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs and Sox Postponed Till Sunday - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Clip Lincoln 6-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs return the favor, and tie the series at 1-1 - El Paso Diablos
- Raben's Big Night for Naught as 'Dogs Fall - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.