Raben's Big Night for Naught as 'Dogs Fall
LINCOLN -- Dennis Raben spanked two home runs and a double but it wasn't enough as the Sioux City Explorers (10-12) hung on to beat the Saltdogs (11-11) 6-5 in front of 3,255 fans at Haymarket Park Saturday night.
Following an 87 minute rain delay to start the game, the Explorers got a three-home run from Palmer Karr to take a 3-0 lead and never trailed.
Raben laced a hustle double to lead off the bottom of the ninth but was left stranded on second base. Raben finished 3-for-4 with two home runs and four RBI.
Jason Jarvis (3-2) pitched six innings, allowing five runs on six hits to pick up the win. Pete Parise (2-2) went seven, allowing five earned on eight hits while striking out a season-high nine and walking one to suffer the loss. Chris Bodishbaugh pitched a scoreless ninth to notch his sixth save.
Matt Forgatch continued his hot hitting, going 2-for-4 with a solo home run.
Saltdogs pitchers have struck out 23 and walked just two over the first two games of the series.
Ian Gac was taken out of the game in the eighth after being struck on the finger on a foul tip.
The clubs play the series finale Sunday evening at 5:05 p.m. Nate Moreau (0-2, 7.41) will face Andy Noga (1-3, 6.00). Radio coverage begins at 4:35 p.m. on KFOR 1240.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 9, 2013
- Diablos lose highly contested game and series against the AirHogs - El Paso Diablos
- Kansas City Falls Short, Drops Finale to Quebec City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Slug Way to 10-7 Victory over X's - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lincoln Defeats X's 10-7 - Sioux City Explorers
- Franchise First: Birds Sweep RailCats on the Road - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Recaps - AA
- King, RedHawks Sweep Goldeyes in 7-2 Victory - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Canaries Sweep 'Cats in 9-5 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Disappointing Road Trip Comes to an End - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Sign MLB Veteran Burns - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs to Resume Game Tonight - Laredo Lemurs
- Saints and Wingnuts Rained Out, Double Header on June 14 in Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Sunday's Game Postponed, Double Header Friday - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - June 9th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Lemurs game with Amarillo suspended - AA
- AirHogs come out on fire in 12-4 victory over Diablos - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs and Sox Postponed Till Sunday - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Clip Lincoln 6-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs return the favor, and tie the series at 1-1 - El Paso Diablos
- Raben's Big Night for Naught as 'Dogs Fall - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.