Explorers Clip Lincoln 6-5
Lincoln, NE-----The Explorers held off a late surge by Lincoln and defeated the Saltdogs here Saturday 6-5 at Haymarket Park.
After a hour 31 minute rain delay to start the contest, the Explorers took a 3-0 lead in the first inning on a three-run home run by Palmer Karr, his third home run of the season. After that, the Explorers never gave up the lead.
Sioux City added a run in the third inning and two more tallies in the fourth and took a 6-1 lead over Lincoln.
In the bottom of the fourth, Lincoln first baseman Raben connected on a three-run home run, his second home run of the game that cut the Explorers lead to 6-4. Matt Forgatch hit a solo shot in the sixth to trim the X's lead to 6-5.
The Explorers bullpen took control after that as Jimmer Kennedy struck out the side in the seventh, Cody Satterwhite struck out two of the three batters he faced in the eighth and Chris Bodishbaugh gave up a lead off double to Raben in the ninth, but retired the final three batters to pick up his sixth save of the season.
Starter Jason Jarvis pitched six inning to push his record to 3-2 for the year.
The four pitchers the Explorers used struck out a season high 11 batters in the victory while Wally Backman Jr. and Adrian Martinez led the nine hit Explorers attack with two hits each.
The Explorers have won the first two games of the series and will be going for the series sweep in the final game of the three-game set Sunday starting at 5:05.
Sioux City will return home to begin a six-game home stand starting with Kansas City on Monday night at 7:05 at Lewis and Clark Park.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 9, 2013
- Diablos lose highly contested game and series against the AirHogs - El Paso Diablos
- Kansas City Falls Short, Drops Finale to Quebec City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Slug Way to 10-7 Victory over X's - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lincoln Defeats X's 10-7 - Sioux City Explorers
- Franchise First: Birds Sweep RailCats on the Road - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Recaps - AA
- King, RedHawks Sweep Goldeyes in 7-2 Victory - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Canaries Sweep 'Cats in 9-5 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Disappointing Road Trip Comes to an End - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Sign MLB Veteran Burns - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs to Resume Game Tonight - Laredo Lemurs
- Saints and Wingnuts Rained Out, Double Header on June 14 in Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Sunday's Game Postponed, Double Header Friday - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - June 9th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Lemurs game with Amarillo suspended - AA
- AirHogs come out on fire in 12-4 victory over Diablos - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs and Sox Postponed Till Sunday - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Clip Lincoln 6-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs return the favor, and tie the series at 1-1 - El Paso Diablos
- Raben's Big Night for Naught as 'Dogs Fall - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.