King, RedHawks Sweep Goldeyes in 7-2 Victory
FARGO, N.D. - The Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks scored four runs with two outs in the first and Mackenzie King pitched 3 2/3 innings of scoreless relief to help guide the 'Hawks to a 7-2 win over the Winnipeg Goldeyes - their second three-game sweep over the Fish of the 2013 season Sunday at Newman Outdoor Field.
With the victory, the RedHawks (13-11) have won eight-straight regular season games over the Goldeyes (12-11) dating back to the 2012 season - and have moved into a tie for the North Division lead with the St. Paul Saints.
Fargo-Moorhead capitalized in the first after Winnipeg starter Alex Capaul put away the first two batters of the inning,, after an over hour-long rain delay to start the game
Nic Jackson singled and Tim Alberts walked to set up Keith Brachold who hit an RBI single. Another walk to C.J. Retherford loaded the bases for Ron Bourquin who hit a two-run single to left. A throwing error allowed Retherford to score after reaching third to give the RedHawks a 4-0 lead.
The RedHawks used a Retherford single and a sacrifice fly by Todd Jennings to score another two runs in the third to increase the lead to 6-1. Jackson, Brachold, Retherford and Bourquin all had hits in the third as part of their two-hit performances for each.
MacKenzie King came in during the sixth inning with runners at second and third with one out. King faced three batters in the inning, but forced two groundouts to end the Winnipeg threat.
King earned his first win of the season giving up only one hit and one walk to the Goldeyes lineup. RedHawks starter Ethan Opsahl pitched three innings, allowing one earned run in the third off a total of four hits while striking out one. Pete Levitt scattered four hits in 2 1/3 innings and gave up one earned run.
Aaron Correa pitched four innings out of the bullpen for Winnipeg, giving up one earned run on three hits and two walks while striking out two batters. Capaul gave up six runs (five earned) in 2 1/3 innings to drop his record to 1-4. Ryan Scoma and Leonard Davis both went 2-for-4 with an RBI and Casey Haerther picked up two hits.
Fargo-Moorhead - with a 9-1 record against North Division opponents - heads to St. Paul to play the Saints in a three-game set beginning at 7:05 p.m., Monday at Midway Stadium. The RedHawks then return home to host Gary SouthShore at Newman Outdoor Field Friday at 7:02 p.m., in a three-game series.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 9, 2013
- Diablos lose highly contested game and series against the AirHogs - El Paso Diablos
- Kansas City Falls Short, Drops Finale to Quebec City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Slug Way to 10-7 Victory over X's - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lincoln Defeats X's 10-7 - Sioux City Explorers
- Franchise First: Birds Sweep RailCats on the Road - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Recaps - AA
- King, RedHawks Sweep Goldeyes in 7-2 Victory - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Canaries Sweep 'Cats in 9-5 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Disappointing Road Trip Comes to an End - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Sign MLB Veteran Burns - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs to Resume Game Tonight - Laredo Lemurs
- Saints and Wingnuts Rained Out, Double Header on June 14 in Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Sunday's Game Postponed, Double Header Friday - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - June 9th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Lemurs game with Amarillo suspended - AA
- AirHogs come out on fire in 12-4 victory over Diablos - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs and Sox Postponed Till Sunday - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Clip Lincoln 6-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs return the favor, and tie the series at 1-1 - El Paso Diablos
- Raben's Big Night for Naught as 'Dogs Fall - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- First Road Loss for 'Hawks as Winnipeg Wins Its Home Opener in Fargo
- Trey Hair Walks It off as RedHawks Earn First Win of Season
- Goldeyes Batter RedHawks with 19 Hits in Game Two Win
- Lambson and Martin Lead Goldeyes to Opening Day Win over RedHawks
- RedHawks Players and Staff Test Negative for COVID-19