Saltdogs Slug Way to 10-7 Victory over X's
LINCOLN -- Yasel Gomez and Stephen Douglas led the way in an impressive offensive display as the Saltdogs (12-11) topped the Sioux City Explorers (10-13) 10-7 in front of 3,434 fans at Haymarket Park Sunday evening.
Gomez went 4-for-4 with a double, RBI, stolen base and three runs scored. Douglas went 2-for-5 with a double, run, stolen base and four RBI in a 14-hit contest for Lincoln.
The 'Dogs took their first lead of the weekend in the bottom of the second, scoring four runs with two outs to go in front 4-2, and they would not look back.
Mike Burns (1-0) pitched 5 2/3 innings in his Saltdogs debut, allowing four earned on five hits while striking out four and walking two to earn the win. Andy Noga (1-4) gave up five earned on seven hits in four innings to take the loss.
Eddie McKiernan and P.J. Zocchi provided 2 1/3 innings of hitless middle relief.
Peter Barrows hit a solo home run to lead off the top of the fourth inning, his second of the weekend.
The Saltdogs travel to Sioux Falls to open a three-game series with the Canaries Monday night at 7:05 p.m. Moises Melendez (1-0, 4.41) is expected to start for the 'Dogs against Ben Moore (3-1, 4.19) Radio coverage begins at 6:35 p.m. on KFOR 1240.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 9, 2013
- Diablos lose highly contested game and series against the AirHogs - El Paso Diablos
- Kansas City Falls Short, Drops Finale to Quebec City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Slug Way to 10-7 Victory over X's - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lincoln Defeats X's 10-7 - Sioux City Explorers
- Franchise First: Birds Sweep RailCats on the Road - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Recaps - AA
- King, RedHawks Sweep Goldeyes in 7-2 Victory - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Canaries Sweep 'Cats in 9-5 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Disappointing Road Trip Comes to an End - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Sign MLB Veteran Burns - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs to Resume Game Tonight - Laredo Lemurs
- Saints and Wingnuts Rained Out, Double Header on June 14 in Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Sunday's Game Postponed, Double Header Friday - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - June 9th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Start of Sunday's RedHawks Game Delayed to 2:00 pm - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Lemurs game with Amarillo suspended - AA
- AirHogs come out on fire in 12-4 victory over Diablos - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs and Sox Postponed Till Sunday - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Clip Lincoln 6-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs return the favor, and tie the series at 1-1 - El Paso Diablos
- Raben's Big Night for Naught as 'Dogs Fall - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.