Saints Season Comes to a Close with 3-2 Loss to Mud Hens
ST. PAUL, MN - No matter how you measure it, the 2023 St. Paul Saints season was a huge success. They finished with the third best record in the International League at 84-64, they set numerous franchise records, and even equaled a grand slam mark that only three other teams achieved in all of baseball since 1901. Despite ending the season with a 3-2 loss to the Toledo Mud Hens on Sunday afternoon at CHS Field in front of 6,003, the season will be remembered as the most successful in their first three years as the Minnesota Twins Triple-A affiliate.
The Mud Hens struck first in the second inning as the first three hitters reached. Nick Maton led off with a walk, moved to second on an infield single to short by Justice Bigbie, and scored on a single to left-center from Ryan Kreidler making it 1-0.
A long ball increased the lead for the Mud Hens in the third. With one out Colt Keith doubled to right-center and that was followed by a two-run homer to left from Eddys Leonard, his eighth of the season, increasing the lead to 3-0.
The Saints got a long ball of their own to get on the board in the fifth. After not collecting a hit through the first four innings, Michael Helman led off the fifth with an infield single to short. With one out Jair Camargo smashed a two-run homer to center, his 21st of the season, getting the Saints to within 3-2. The home run tied his teammate Chris Williams for most home runs in single-season franchise history.
Byron Buxton nearly sent the fans into a tizzy in the bottom of the ninth. With two outs and nobody on, he sent a fly ball to deep left, but with his back up against the wall Nick Maton made the catch to end the game. Buxton went 0-4 in his final Major League rehab game.
The other two Major League rehabbers, Nick Gordon and Joey Gallo, went 0-2 with a walk and 0-3, respectively.
The bullpen for the Saints did an incredible job tossing 5.0 scoreless innings allowing one run while striking out four as Brent Headrick tossed 2.0 scoreless allowing one hit while walking two and striking out two. Ronny Henriquez tossed a hitless, scoreless inning while striking out one, Hunter McMahon pitched a perfect inning of relief, and Cole Sands tossed a perfect inning of relief with one strikeout.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 24, 2023
- Knights Beat the Redbirds 8-2 in 2023 Finale - Charlotte Knights
- Memphis Closes Book on 2023 Season with Loss to Charlotte - Memphis Redbirds
- Syracuse Drops the 2023 Season Finale to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, 7-3, on Sunday Afternoon - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Drop Season Finale in Indianapolis - Rochester Red Wings
- Late Homer from Dean Drives Gwinnett to Season Finale Triumph - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three-Run Fifth Carries Indians to Victory over Red Wings in Season Finale - Indianapolis Indians
- Briceño Blasts Omaha to Season-Ending Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rick Sweet Becomes Winningest Sounds Manager with Triumph in Season Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Hens Win Season Finale - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Win Season Finale - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Johnston Named Marlins Minor League Player of the Year - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jacksonville Concludes Season with 8-4 Loss - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Stripers Top Bulls 7-6 in Regular Season Finale - Durham Bulls
- Saints Season Comes to a Close with 3-2 Loss to Mud Hens - St. Paul Saints
- Bisons Finish Season with 11-6 Victory over Norfolk - Buffalo Bisons
- I-Cubs and Bats Split Series - Iowa Cubs
- Bats Cap 2023 with 8-4 Win over Iowa - Louisville Bats
- Tides Fall In Regular Season Finale - Norfolk Tides
- Rocchio Named 2023 Clipper of the Year - Columbus Clippers
- 9.24.23 Game Information: Rochester Red Wings (66-79, 32-40) vs. Indianapolis Indians (69-78,36-37) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Holds off I-Cubs Following Game Suspension - Louisville Bats
- Cronin Promoted to White Sox on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 24 at Indianapolis - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - September 24 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs and WooSox Cancelled Sunday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Clippers Walk-Off Again - Columbus Clippers
- Sounds Secure Thrilling Victory in Seesaw - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Safety First: Saints to Extend Netting to Cover Entire Seating Bowl
- What's in a Name? Saints Hold Month-Long Name the Pig Contest Presented by Star Tribune
- Catch the Laughter, Not Just the Balls, as Saints Single-Game Tickets on Sale February 17
- A New Viewing Experience, Saints to Add New Videoboard in Right Field, Updated Scoreboard on Third Base Side
- Saints Spice It up for 2024 with New Ticket Membership, Fans with Benefits Program