Rush Fall to Heartlanders, 9-1
(RAPID CITY, S.D.) - The Iowa Heartlanders jumped out to an early lead and went on to beat the Rapid City Rush 9-1, Sunday afternoon at The Monument Ice Arena.
Iowa opened the scoring in the first when Zach Remers controlled the puck on the left circle and spun and sent a shot toward the front of the net. It bounced off of a Rush defenseman's skate and caromed past David Tendeck to make the score 1-0.
They'd strike again soon after when Joe Widmar found Cole Stallard alone on the right circle for a wrist shot that he fired home top shelf past Tendeck. Later, Jack Billings snapped a shot low on the blocker side that hit the back of the net, pushing the lead to 3-0.
That would be in for Tendeck, who was pulled in favor of Hayden Stewart following the third goal. Iowa added another one in the final minute of the period after Jake Smith buried a one-timer on the power play.
The Heartlanders kept it rolling in the second, as each Billings, Stallard and Smith struck again to extend the lead to 7-0. Rapid City got its lone goal early in the third period while on the power play when they worked the puck to the point and Gabe Chabot cranked a slap shot through traffic. It sailed through and got past Corbin Kaczperski, cutting the lead to 7-1.
But Iowa would grab two more goals in the third, first with Joe Widmar and then Smith to complete his hat trick. The Heartlanders went on to win it, 9-1.
Rapid City fell to 14-14-3-2 in the loss while Iowa improved to 11-17-3-1. The Rush will return to action on Thursday night on the road in Wichita for the first of three games next week against the Thunder. Puck drop at INTRUST Bank Arena is scheduled for 7:05 PM CST.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 9, 2022
- Heartlanders Rout Rapid City, 9-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Rush Fall to Heartlanders, 9-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Gazzola's Overtime Goal Seals 3-2 Walleye Comeback Victory over Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Kemp Dazzles with Opening Goal, Swamp Rabbits Fall to Gladiators 3-2 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Laberge Burns Thunder Again in Mariners Sunday Win - Maine Mariners
- Kielly Nets Game-Winner in Fourth Straight Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - January 9 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Glads Look for Fourth Straight Win on Road - Atlanta Gladiators
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits vs Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cincinnati's Strong Second Period Leads to 5-4 Defeat - Kalamazoo Wings
- Oilers Amaze 8,438 Fans against Allen Americans on Autism Awareness Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Snag Extra Point in 4-3 Shootout Win in Another Sellout - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Get Standings Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Rapid City Edged by Iowa in OT, 4-3 - Rapid City Rush
- Heartlanders Win First Overtime Game in Team History, 4-3 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Americans Winning Streak Ends at Five - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.