Heartlanders Rout Rapid City, 9-1
Rapid City, SD - The Iowa Heartlanders registered their highest-scoring game, Jake Smith tallied the first hat trick in Landers history, and Iowa cruised to a 9-1 victory Sunday at The Monument. Jack Billings, Cole Stallard and Smith (3g, 2a) registered multi-goal games and Billy Constantinou generated a career best four assists. Corbin Kaczperski blocked 39 shots in the win.
Zach Remers, Stallard, Billings and Smith tallied in the opening frame. Two strikes came early and the last two came late. Remers' first ECHL goal at 6:55 happened on a turn-around shot from the left slot as he inverted his body towards the boards. Billy Constantinou generated the first of two opening-period helpers, and Cole Golka received the secondary helper.
Stallard also scored at the slot a minute later, but this time at the right hashmarks, angling it over David Tendeck's glove hand to the far post.
To complete the first period outburst, Billings snuck behind the defense on a one-on-one opportunity and pushed the puck through Tendeck's legs with 3:03 left in the first. Smith and Bryce Misley assisted. The Heartlanders then went on a 5-on-3 power play and Smith slammed a heavy one timer from the left circle over Hayden Stewart, who had just come in to relieve Tendeck.
In the second, with Stewart in, the Landers potted three times. Smith lasered another power-play marker at 1:07 of the second from the top of the left circle again. Stallard and Billings then tallied their second goals. With 8:31 to go in the second, Stallard scored from the slot on a rush chance that trickled to his stick 15 feet from net. On Billings' second goal four minutes later, Constantinou wristed one through traffic and it struck off the rookie Billings, tricking Stewart.
After the Landers took a 7-0 lead, Tendeck came back in to relieve Stewart after the Rush had yanked Tendeck near the end of the first. Stewart then returned to the game at the start of the third.
In the third, Joe Widmar angled in a wrister from the right slot to make it 8-1 at 5:12. Next, Smith slapped in a one-timer at the mid slot for his hat trick, which made it 9-1 at 11:46 of the third.
The Heartlanders are home Friday, Jan. 14 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Kansas City on Hockey is for Everyone Night. Following the Friday home game, the Landers hit the road for five straight games.
Upcoming Home Games
Friday, January 14th at 7:00 p.m. vs. Kansas City: Hockey is for Everyone© Night
Wednesday, January 26th at 7:00 p.m. vs. Indy - Sports Career Fair / College Night
Friday, January 28th at 7:00 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo - Boy Scouts Night
Saturday, January 29th at 7:00 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo - Marvel © theme night
Season ticket memberships, group tickets, mini-plans, flex vouchers and single-game tickets are available for the Heartlanders inaugural season by calling 319-569-GOAL and visiting iowaheartlanders.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 9, 2022
- Heartlanders Rout Rapid City, 9-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Rush Fall to Heartlanders, 9-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Gazzola's Overtime Goal Seals 3-2 Walleye Comeback Victory over Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Kemp Dazzles with Opening Goal, Swamp Rabbits Fall to Gladiators 3-2 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Laberge Burns Thunder Again in Mariners Sunday Win - Maine Mariners
- Kielly Nets Game-Winner in Fourth Straight Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - January 9 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Glads Look for Fourth Straight Win on Road - Atlanta Gladiators
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits vs Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cincinnati's Strong Second Period Leads to 5-4 Defeat - Kalamazoo Wings
- Oilers Amaze 8,438 Fans against Allen Americans on Autism Awareness Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Snag Extra Point in 4-3 Shootout Win in Another Sellout - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Get Standings Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Rapid City Edged by Iowa in OT, 4-3 - Rapid City Rush
- Heartlanders Win First Overtime Game in Team History, 4-3 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Americans Winning Streak Ends at Five - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.