Steelheads Snag Extra Point in 4-3 Shootout Win in Another Sellout
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (18-12-1) battled with the Utah Grizzlies (20-11-2) and took the extra point in a 4-3 shootout win on Saturday night from Idaho Central Arena in front of 5,257 fans, the 12th sellout of the season.
THE GAME'S STO--RY
The Steelheads and Grizzlies went back and forth throughout the game, and the Grizzlies struck first on the power play for the early lead before Steelheads forward Shawn McBride (PP, 18:08 1st) retaliated with his own power play tally off the faceoff to tie the game, 1-1. Steelheads forward Chase Zieky (5:06 2nd; PP, 6:01 2nd) came out hot in the middle period with two goals less than one minute apart to take a two-goal lead, 3-1. However, the Grizzlies answered in a similar fashion for situations to force a 3-3 game into overtime. After a strong goaltending play by Colton Point, Steelheads captain A.J. White (3rd Round) netted the lone goal in the shootout, taking the 4-3 result.
ICCU 3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. IDH - Chase Zieky (two goals)
2. UTA - Charle-Edouard D'Astous (two assists)
3. IDH - Shawn McBride (goal, assist)
PEPSI PLAYER OF THE GAME
Colton Point (G) - 16-straight saves to close game, first win of season
- Chase Zieky: Zieky netted his first multi-goal game of his professional career as well as his second back-to-back stretch with goals. Four of his five points for the rookie have come as goals.
- Shawn McBride: McBride helped the cause with his first power play goal and assisted on the team's second power play. It's his third multi-point game of the season as he has now three points in two games.
- Colton Point: Point came alive in the third period and overtime, stopping all eight shots in the extra period as well as all three in the shootout. He breaks a personal three-game losing skid to start the season and earns his second shootout win with the Steelheads.
CATCH OF THE DAY
The Steelheads and Grizzlies both finished the weekend with a perfect 3-for-3 performance on the power play over their last two games to close out the weekend. For the Steelheads, it's just the third time this season that they've recorded a multi-power play goal game, joining their 2-for-3 game on December 3 against Kansas City (3-2 SOL) and a commanding 4-for-11 contest on Opening Night against the Grizzlies (7-3 W). It also marks the fourth time the Steelheads have conceded multiple power play goals in a game and the second time in five games. The Steelheads have scored in six of their last seven games on the power play (7-for-22, 31.8%).
ATTENDANCE: 5,257 (11th sellout)
The Steelheads and Grizzlies take their series across the state border Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 95.3 KTIK "The Ticket" as well as 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Ch. 72 & FloHockey.tv.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 9, 2022
- Heartlanders Rout Rapid City, 9-1 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Rush Fall to Heartlanders, 9-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Gazzola's Overtime Goal Seals 3-2 Walleye Comeback Victory over Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Kemp Dazzles with Opening Goal, Swamp Rabbits Fall to Gladiators 3-2 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Laberge Burns Thunder Again in Mariners Sunday Win - Maine Mariners
- Kielly Nets Game-Winner in Fourth Straight Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - January 9 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Glads Look for Fourth Straight Win on Road - Atlanta Gladiators
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits vs Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cincinnati's Strong Second Period Leads to 5-4 Defeat - Kalamazoo Wings
- Oilers Amaze 8,438 Fans against Allen Americans on Autism Awareness Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Snag Extra Point in 4-3 Shootout Win in Another Sellout - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Get Standings Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Rapid City Edged by Iowa in OT, 4-3 - Rapid City Rush
- Heartlanders Win First Overtime Game in Team History, 4-3 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Americans Winning Streak Ends at Five - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.